Default Message App - SMS Read Reports?

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I tried asking about this yesterday, but I muddled the thread subject and seemed to confuse people.

I am trying to get read reports for SMS in the Motorola Droid default message app. In the settings menu, it looks like SMS only has send reports, whereas MMS has both send AND read reports. I like to be able to see when/if the person I texted has actually read my message, a function I got used to on my old RAZR. But it looks like the default message app only has it for MMS.

So are read reports available for SMS and I'm just missing it? If not, do any of the free SMS apps (HandCent, Chomp, etc.) have SMS read reports?

Big Cam

Reaction score
Is this different from the little D that shows up next to a text letting you know it actually showed up on their phone?

Silver Member
Reaction score
try them. i think handcent might, but i've never used it. they're free and if you don't like them, uninstall them.

OP
Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
Is this different from the little D that shows up next to a text letting you know it actually showed up on their phone?

I'm not sure, since I'm new to the Droid, and the manual doesn't include specifics on the little D.

On the RAZR, when the message showed up on their phone, you'd get a little envelope symbol next to it. And then, when they actually opened it or read it, a black check mark would show up in the little envelope symbol to let you know.

On the Droid, when I have SMS send report checked, I get an envelope symbol with a little green "i" to tell me it's been successfully sent, but there doesn't seem to be the corresponding black checkmark type of thing to let me know if they've opened/read it yet.

OP
Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
try them. i think handcent might, but i've never used it. they're free and if you don't like them, uninstall them.

I've been considering it, but every time I look them up in the Market, the top comments always seem to have low ratings and horror stories of deleted messages and frozen screens. Not sure if it's just FUD or not, but I haven't been brave enough to try. I figured I'd exhaust my options on the default message app first.

Silver Member
Reaction score
meh, they're just text messages. i never understood why people get so worried about losing them.

52brandon

Reaction score
Handcent has that setting. I never cared to use it though, so I couldn't say as far as how well it works

OP
Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
meh, they're just text messages. i never understood why people get so worried about losing them.

True. It's not really losing the messages that would bother me, as it is that such issues might be indicative of other more serious bugginess yet to appear.