Dedicated site for the Droid Bionic @ BionicForums.net

J

JohnDroid

It is our policy to add sections for all available phones here at DroidForums.net - but we also realize that some members would be happier on a website dedicated entirely to one particular device. On some more popular devices we are able to accomodate this.
We believe the Droid Bionic will be one of those very popular devices with a good community following.

So with that, We'd like to announce that we do have a sister site dedicated entirely to the Motorola Droid Bionic up at BionicForums.net

Be sure to visit and register if you are interested in the Motorola Droid Bionic.​

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
well i signed up#9 heck yeah under the 10 mark.. looking forward to this phone..

i think i am the only one not a mod

Last edited:

santee555

Reaction score
Here's a question for the Bionic Folks. Droid X can not talk and do data at the same-time due to its chip(?). Will the Bionic be capable of data/talk at the same-time on 3G and 4G???
Inquiring minds want to know????

magikmarkur

Reaction score
Here's a question for the Bionic Folks. Droid X can not talk and do data at the same-time due to its chip(?). Will the Bionic be capable of data/talk at the same-time on 3G and 4G???
Inquiring minds want to know????

Others please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it has more to do with the fact that Verizon runs on a CDMA network which stops two separate streams of data from coming in while AT&T's GSM is able to compute multiple streams of data. And if that's the case, then Verizon phones have a while before they are able to talk and receive data simultaneously.

Adrozz07

Reaction score
Not entirely. The Thunderbolt will do voice and data simultaneously over 3g because it has the hardware to do so. Not sure if any other proposed phone will do so but I'm pretty sure they won't.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

tenacious bee

Reaction score
Expect to see more vzw phones with the ability to do both data and voice at the same time. If one can do it others will follow.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's in the News section... LG just completed the first simultaneous voice/data over Verizon's network (albeit over 4G).... it's coming.

btx23

Reaction score
ROM vs No ROM

Hopefully, I am posting this right. haha

So, I have read that the Bionic will have 2gb of ROM and the Atrix does not have any. What's the main difference? What's the ROM on the Bionic good for? I tried researching it, but I couldn't find anything. :/

Bionic

Reaction score
Others please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it has more to do with the fact that Verizon runs on a CDMA network which stops two separate streams of data from coming in while AT&T's GSM is able to compute multiple streams of data. And if that's the case, then Verizon phones have a while before they are able to talk and receive data simultaneously.

In the US, I believe that the GSM standard is a combination of TDMA protocol for voice and 2G data, and CDMA protocol for 3G/'4G' data (HSPDA, not LTE).

So most GSM phones actually have two separate radios - one for voice and one for data. That's why you have support for simultaneous voice and data on GSM. On Verizon, the new combination of CDMA voice + LTD data provides the same capability.

If the Tbird is able to support voice + 3g data at the same time, I'm guessing it has two separate CDMA radios or maybe the LTE radio supports CDMA data.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:

UBNUTN

Reaction score

I believe your right about cdma not doing back and forth data,but wrong about verizon not having it. LTE allows simultaneous data transfer
My droid charge & thunderbolt are proof of this.

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
Sorry but no site will replace Droid forums for me haha

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

rjp0615

Reaction score
Very good points made, but the reason that Verizon's LTE devices can do voice and data at the same time are quite simple. The CDMA radio is used for voice, and LTE for data. If you leave 4G coverage, you won't be able to surf and talk without WiFi. Verizon does plan, however to release voice over LTE devices in the future, which will allow simultaneous voice and data because of LTE being based on the GSM protocol. GSM sends voice and data over the same channel, which is why it tends to drop calls more than CDMA. IMO, CDMA is the more dependable technology because of its constant pinging of towers, but GSM can penetrate walls better.

MacDuffie

Reaction score
I use the Droid Forums app to browse this site from my Bionic. Will there be a similar app for the BionicForums.net?

Graymayre

Reaction score
I believe your right about cdma not doing back and forth data,but wrong about verizon not having it. LTE allows simultaneous data transfer
My droid charge & thunderbolt are proof of this.

What people need to know now is that everything we thought we knew about our carriers is changing.
Verizon is not just CDMA anymore. LTE is a completely different technology and is unrelated to CDMA except in a basic sense.
And I will note that LTE is the only true 4G and is so because it was an entirely redesigned protocol.
Other 4G is only an updated version of their original GSM system and protocols, and because of this, it cannot meet the transfer rate that is classified as 4G.
Also, your data transfer rate is only as fast as your weakest link, and Verizon has backed their LTE towers with fiber optic, whereas others are a little slow to invest.
Just remember, 3G and 4G are not a technology, they are a standard.

Edit: LTE has not yet reached the transfer rate of 4G, but is called 4G because it has the potential to in the near future.
4G standard peak transfer rate requirements are 100 Mbits/s mobile, and 1Gbit/s stationary. They've almost gotten to 30 Mbit/s

The answer is 42.
Oh, wait, you mean to tell me you need to know the question now?
Well, I can't answer that.

Last edited: