Decent Exchange Client?

shuasha

Reaction score
I've had my Droid for a few days now, and the only issue keeping me from porting my current ATT (iPhone) number of is the lack of a decent exchange client. The one that comes with the Droid reads and writes emails just fine. It also brings in the calendar just fine, but is severely lacking in a few things:

1. Built in support for reading excel, word and PDF docs.
2. Ability to click on a meeting invite to add it to your calendar. Another function the iPhone does is adding meetings you were invited to to the calendar automatically, but not confirming them until I tell it to.
3. Email search functionality, it just isn't there.

There are several other exchange clients, but real reviews on them are few and far between. Does anybody know if there are clients out there that meet these needs? A few of them require a purchase before you install.

Stigy

Reaction score
I've had my Droid for a few days now, and the only issue keeping me from porting my current ATT (iPhone) number of is the lack of a decent exchange client. The one that comes with the Droid reads and writes emails just fine. It also brings in the calendar just fine, but is severely lacking in a few things:

1. Built in support for reading excel, word and PDF docs.
2. Ability to click on a meeting invite to add it to your calendar. Another function the iPhone does is adding meetings you were invited to to the calendar automatically, but not confirming them until I tell it to.
3. Email search functionality, it just isn't there.

There are several other exchange clients, but real reviews on them are few and far between. Does anybody know if there are clients out there that meet these needs? A few of them require a purchase before you install.

1. My exchange email contains Word, Excel and PDF documents all day and I can read them just fine.
2. This is the operation of the DROID. In the "Corporate Calendar" the item is placed at the time & date of the meeting and you click on it to approve, decline or postpone.
3. Email search IS a bit lacking.

Hopefully that is the information you were looking for and 2 out of 3 ain't bad, huh?

nammysu

Reaction score
I just got the trial version of TouchDown. It's good for 5 days. Works pretty nicely as far as the Exchange stuff goes. For reading Office extensions... I don't know.

OP
S

shuasha

Reaction score
Anybody use Moxier Mail? Seems expensive, but polished.

It's worth it if it fits my needs, especially the search.

OP
S

shuasha

Reaction score
By the way, thanks so far guys... the responses have been great this far.

OP
S

shuasha

Reaction score
Found my problem with attachments, for some reason having "Accept all SSL Certs" checked breaks attachments. I'm not sure what self-signed SSL certs has to do with opening attachments, but whatever. :)

CheffyRedux

Reaction score
I just got the trial version of TouchDown. It's good for 5 days. Works pretty nicely as far as the Exchange stuff goes. For reading Office extensions... I don't know.

I agree Touchdown so far seems to be the best option for Exchange synch over the default email client. GAL access, filters, search, accept calendar invites are some of the features it has over the Droid mail client. Also have opened up Word Documents with no problems.

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
I just took a look at this. Seems like it may be a nice improvement. I may wait until the upcoming update to see if there's any change to the default app before going with this. Course, $10 is hard to beat for price.

wscato

Reaction score
You can get GAL access by downloading an app called Corporate Directory which is made by Motorola.

dean.collins

Reaction score
i just downloaded the app - works great, well worth the $10.

be aware however that when you install it you need to slide the icons on the left to see the configuration icon.....lol took me 5 mins to find it.

not sure how long the application will be $10 but grab it now.

kitty78m

Reaction score
does roadsync do the same thing? A coworker of mine said he's been able to open all his attachments now that he is using it, but I'm having problems getting it to work.

kitty78m

Reaction score
I just downloaded touchdown too and it's working great! Thanks!

BzB

Reaction score
another vote for touchdown. uses ActiveSync for exchange which gives you push email and two way synchronization for the email folders you select, contacts, calendar, and tasks. integrated with office docs, search function, create a signature, custom notifications like changing the color of the LED, lots of nice stuff. this app made my transition from the blackberry so much easier.

the only thing they don't do right now is sync your notes, a minor gripe considering how this app puts the standard email app on the droid to shame. looking forward to additional enhancements.

Tekmazter

Reaction score
A footnote on Touchdown everyone. Keep in mind that the it doesn't support encrypting your email on your device. Actually Android doesn't support much in the way of this either.

If you require email on your Droid to be encrypted to meet compliance for your organization, then you should know that Touchdown lies to your Exchange server (2007 only I believe) in telling it that you are encrypting the mail on the device. You should check with your Exchange/email admin to find out what you're supposed to be doing so you don't inadvertently violate your company policies.

It should also be noted that the 1st gen IPhone did the exact same thing. In Exchange you can force connecting clients enable encryption. The IPhone would tell Exchange it was encrypting all the while it wasn't. This was corrected in a later update which broke many people's ActiveSync. The latest 3GS fully supports encryption.And it looks like Touchdown will be going the route of Apple as well long term.

URL about IPhone breaking ActiveSync: http://www.appleinsider.com/article...nts_in_iphone_3_1_cause_some_users_grief.html

URL about Touchdown faking out Exchange with Droid: http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...axonomyName=Mobile+and+Wireless&taxonomyId=15

Excerpt: But it turns out that TouchDown inaccurately reports the Droid's ActiveSync policy support, according to NitroDesk's support staff. "You should not be using Exchange by TouchDown in its current version because it may indeed be reporting EAS [Exchange ActiveSync] policies incorrectly in the current version. The next version will report it correctly. ... We had been waiting for encryption support at the file level for Android databases, but it may never get implemented," the support staff e-mailed me.

So again, Touchdown may work for now, but before you upgrade in the future, look into how it reports EAS policies.

Last edited:

BzB

Reaction score
A footnote on Touchdown everyone. Keep in mind that the it doesn't support encrypting your email on your device.

...if your organization requires it. information theft is more likely to happen because of low security passwords, a user leaving their computer unlocked or unsecured, or a computer virus.

not saying this isn't an issue, but the users who have this issue probably can't/won't get it to work anyway and/or smart phone use is tightly controlled by it governance at their work place.