Debating on getting the Droid 4

nismo9

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm new to this forum and would just like some assistance in deciding if I want to change to the droid 4.

Currently I have the HTC THUNDERBOLT
I love this phone except for the fact that I cracked the screen and half of the screen doesnt work sometimes, so texting and stuff is limited and I just need the keyboard.

My main concerns!

- Battery Life
- does the phone ever freeze alot or slow down?
- Any glitches?
- Cons of this phone

I currently have my thunder bolt rooted and so with this feature all I use is the ability to do a Wifi Tether off the 4G Which I LOVE, I have been doing some research on the ddroid 4 and It seems as if I wont be able to do the wifi tethering off the droid 4 ( Free atleast ) and this would kind of be a deal breaker for me, is this true?

I would appreciate all input
Also it is time I do get a new phone regardless so is there any other phones you guys would suggest? It must have 4G with a keyboard or really open to any suggestions,
Also what do you guys think of the Samsung stratosphere

audinutt

Reaction score
You can tether on the d4 for free, you have several options.
Foxfi- this app works without root access
Sqleditor hack- allows to to use the stock hotspot app.
Custom roms- lots of possibilites

I too had a thunderbolt, but love the d4.
I am using the sqledit hack and stock hotspot app. Works great.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

DevilDogMP

Silver Member
Reaction score
The thunderbolt is a phone meant for surfing the web pretty fast. The droid four, it is mainly for texting hince forth the slide out keyboard. I have the droid bionic and I'm not saying the droid 4 is bad just keep that in mind

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

kwyrt

Reaction score
D4 is the best hardware keyboard phone out right now. If you want a keyboard, I would definitely recommend it. As was previously mentioned, you can wifi tether with the D4 so don't let that stop you. Stratosphere seems like an OK phone but the internals are not as beefy. Only downside to the D4 IMO is the screen could be better. I don't think it's BAD, just not as good as some of the other phones out there. Battery life is also not great but not bad either. Really depends on how heavily you use it. I find it to be adequate. I can get through a full day without charging with moderate use. Also, ROMs are really starting to take off. If you're not set on a keyboard, the GS3 seems like the phone to beat right now.

Droid 4 - AOKP Krush

audinutt

Reaction score
My wife has the razr maxx, great phone, but i really need a physical keyboard, d4 wins hands down.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
If your biggest need is a physical keyboard then get the D4. Battery life is not that great but it has the same hardware as the Razr which is pretty good.

And if you're into flashing roms, a slew of them will be coming out with their own kernel (compared to before where the rom had to be modded to work off the stock kernel which isn't ideal).

Some people complain about the screen but I have absolutely no problems with it.

cdipier2

Reaction score
I have the D4 and love it. My only complaint is the battery life isn't that great but I got used to it. I had the stratosphere before this phone and I definitely would NOT recommend it, its a crappy phone

snowman

Reaction score
I wish I had your choice I'd get a Galaxy S3
these D-4's are junk

anyone wanna swap?

4low4fun

Reaction score
The D4 is a great phone! They keyboard is amazing! Hardware is hard to beat. I'm running eclipse rom which is super nice and really seems to help my battery life. I work 14 hour days in a building that doesn't let me get a strong 4g signal which hurts battery life and I can make it through a whole day.
Cons. I wish it had a nicer crisper screen but the one it does have is more than adequate. The camera kinda sucks. But that seems to be the case with most Moto phones... A lot of people seem to be having problems with speakers going bad which i think is happening to mine...