Dead battery causes boot loop?

dysfunkshun

Reaction score
So, I rooted my girls bionic like mine a couple weeks ago and we're both running Gummys ICS, most recently 0.8.3. Last week, her phone died and got stuck in bootloop, and when she brought it to me, I swapped out batteries and got hers up and running again, causing mine to boot loop as well. I went ghetto and cut a charger cable and hooked up bare wires to the battery to charge it, ran RSD on it and started from scratch. Well, tonight, I guess her phone was getting low again and she was just finishing a call when it rebooted and got stuck in a bootloop again. I talked her through wiping and reinstalling, but it still sticks in a loop. Is this something that happens when the battery gets too low? I cant think of anything else that could be the problem other than letting her battery get that low, as Ive never had the problem but have also never let my phone die.

Thanks in advance for your help!

BiOnIcTrAe

Reaction score
What is rooting...bootloop...gummies...just curious...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC ..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There has to be more to it, dead batteries do not cause bootloops.

Why do you say that? There is good reason to believe that is the problem. Not just the fact he's already swapped batteries and the booty looping moved to his phone with the dead battery, but also that there are plenty of others having booting problems that are resolved with a regimen of charging and recharging on Charge Only mode.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Is this something that happens when the battery gets too low? I cant think of anything else that could be the problem other than letting her battery get that low, as Ive never had the problem but have also never let my phone die.

There are certainly some issues you can experience if the battery is allowed to discharge too deeply. I've read of others who got stuck in a boot looping sequence like your gf's phone.

Here's what I suggest. Since I don't own a bionic I don't know how to put you're phone into CHARGE ONLY mode with the phone powered off but that's what I want you to do. Then let it charge until it completed the charge and indicates it's full. Then use normally but as soon as the phone signals low battery I want you to do the above again. After the full cycle of charge, discharge to low battery and then a full charge, you may be pleased to find the battery problems are gone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I got my Droid 1 out after letting it sit for about 6 months so I could play with ICS on it. I booted it up and it started bootlooping and the battery was at 0%. I don't doubt that the low battery caused this.

OP
D

dysfunkshun

Reaction score
Well, I got her to cut a charger and bare wire to the battery to get some kind of charge on it, and after a couple loops, it booted back up. It doesnt make much sense to me either as to why letting the battery get too low would cause it to start bootlooping, draining the battery further, but that seems to be the case. Im just gonna have her charge it full again and wipe the battery stats through CWR and see where that takes it. Both of us use the battery calibration app everytime we install a new rom to start from scratch. Again, Im glad theres forums like these with people willing to help!

timmy10shoes

Reaction score
Well, I got her to cut a charger and bare wire to the battery to get some kind of charge on it, and after a couple loops, it booted back up. It doesnt make much sense to me either as to why letting the battery get too low would cause it to start bootlooping, draining the battery further, but that seems to be the case. Im just gonna have her charge it full again and wipe the battery stats through CWR and see where that takes it. Both of us use the battery calibration app everytime we install a new rom to start from scratch. Again, Im glad theres forums like these with people willing to help!
This is definitely a new one to me. But it appears others have had this issue also. There is no need to wipe battery stats or use the calibration app though. When you give your device a full charge, it will erase the battery stats.

z96Cobra

Reaction score
A low battery can very easily cause a bootloop. The bootloop is being caused by low power, not corrupt files. Wiping your phone is a waste of time. Every smartphone I've had would do this, even my old WinMo phones. It's really only an issue for phones that try to boot as soon as you apply external power (like vthe Bionic & OG Droid).

sanketpatel

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Lenovo a6000 plus
So, I rooted my girls bionic like mine a couple weeks ago and we're both running Gummys ICS, most recently 0.8.3. Last week, her phone died and got stuck in bootloop, and when she brought it to me, I swapped out batteries and got hers up and running again, causing mine to boot loop as well. I went ghetto and cut a charger cable and hooked up bare wires to the battery to charge it, ran RSD on it and started from scratch. Well, tonight, I guess her phone was getting low again and she was just finishing a call when it rebooted and got stuck in a bootloop again. I talked her through wiping and reinstalling, but it still sticks in a loop. Is this something that happens when the battery gets too low? I cant think of anything else that could be the problem other than letting her battery get that low, as Ive never had the problem but have also never let my phone die.

Same problem here.
I've got two Lenovo A6000+ phones and I installed Resurrection Remix 5.7.4 on both.
On the very next day (I don't know how but) i found one phone switched off. When I tried to switch on it stuck to repeated on and off cycle with RR logo and vibration. It won't boot into TWRP recovery and didn't charge at all.
I swapped battery of both the phones and now the other phone is stuck into bootloop, while the first one is running ideally. Neither of the phones run on that battery and cannot even charge it.
Tried flashing the ROM again but that is not the problem because with other battery everything works just fine.
I will now try to somehow charge the dead battery, hope it works. If anyone have any idea please help.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Same problem here.
I've got two Lenovo A6000+ phones and I installed Resurrection Remix 5.7.4 on both.
On the very next day (I don't know how but) i found one phone switched off. When I tried to switch on it stuck to repeated on and off cycle with RR logo and vibration. It won't boot into TWRP recovery and didn't charge at all.
I swapped battery of both the phones and now the other phone is stuck into bootloop, while the first one is running ideally. Neither of the phones run on that battery and cannot even charge it.
Tried flashing the ROM again but that is not the problem because with other battery everything works just fine.
I will now try to somehow charge the dead battery, hope it works. If anyone have any idea please help.

Welcome to the forum! If you can swap batteries in that phone model, couldn't you just buy a new battery instead of trying to charge a dead / defective battery?

sanketpatel

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Lenovo a6000 plus
Welcome to the forum! If you can swap batteries in that phone model, couldn't you just buy a new battery instead of trying to charge a dead / defective battery?

Actually the problem here is that I don't understand whether the battery has drained or is defective, because just before a day of flashing new ROM, it was working like a charm.
And why should I purchase a new one when I can charge it somehow.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to the forum, sanketpatel! As sajo suggested, it's most likely that the battery is no longer able to accept a charge. There are a couple reasons why this is probably what's going on; if the battery thoroughly discharged may not be able to accept charge and batteries have a limited life and could be that battery met the end of it's life. But you are right, it's not the OS but the battery.

If possible, try to charge the battery with decent cable and phone off, untouched for several hours. If after several hours there is no charge then you will need to replace the battery.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk