Data recovery when Touchscreen is fried

Sad_Drizzoid

Reaction score
Is there any way to recover any of my data from my Droid X? The screen is out of commission so I can't even unlock my phone.
When I connect my X to my laptop, running Windows 7, through the USB port, the drivers are downloaded and installed but there is nothing about the phone that I am able to peruse. I would expect to try and see some type of mass storage device with access to DCIM, SD card, etc., but nothing.
Any help would be most appreciated to am I just SOL?

ABQNM

Reaction score
SD card reader for card contents, but as for the phone, if you previously had USB debugging enabled, you could possibly get into the phone using ADB and pull the files you need. There are plenty of articles on how to set up and use ADB out there. Just to warn you, if you are uncomfortable at the windows command line, you may be in for a bit of a task as it is all command line based.

OP
S

Sad_Drizzoid

Reaction score
Ok, thanks for your responses.

My next query, is there a way to wipe my phone remotely since my touch screen is inoperable?

If I can't pull the data, then I need to wipe the data.

ABQNM

Reaction score
You can do a factory reset without the touchscreen. While powered off, press and hold the home button while powering on the phone. When the triangle with the exclamation point appears, do the following (it is different for froyo or gb):

Froyo (white motorola boot logo): press the search key and use the volume keys to scroll to factory reset and press the menu button, scroll to yes with volume keys and press menu to confirm.

GB (red moto boot logo): at the triangle, press both volume keys at the same time and then follow the same steps for Froyo, but you choose an option with the power button instead of menu.

Note: This will only format the data and cache partitions. It will not touch the system partition. If you rooted, you will need to SBF to get back to complete stock (can also be done without touch screen). Also the SD card needs to be formatted on a pc if you want to do that too.

OP
S

Sad_Drizzoid

Reaction score
My phone touch screen is completely blank, just a couple of vertical lines near the edges. I can't see anything, only hear the phone powering up.

ABQNM

Reaction score
I could possibly guide you to do it blind, but your best bet would be to SBF. THIS IS RISKY NOT BEING ABLE TO SEE THE SCREEN, SO YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. Here is a guide. Complete Droid X .sbf Flashing Guide Make absolutely sure your battery is charged before you begin though. You will not have to do anything on the phone screen. You just hold the volume down and camera buttons while powering up and it will go to bootloader mode. You will not see it, but if you connect it to RSD Lite, it will show up if you are in the right place. I assume you are planning on sending this back to VZW, so I wanted to point out that once it gets to the step of "manually power up the phone", let it sit about 10 minutes and then you can disconnect it. Since you are not using the phone, you don't need to reboot and delete cache as long as the software is on there. Hope this helps you.

krutipatel

Reaction score
Most files backup utilities in Android either back up to a file on SD card or to your gmail account as individual items.
Failing the above working, and if your phone is enable USB debugging, connect your Android phone to your laptop and use an Android Data Recovery program to be able to view the deleted files in the task window. After this, click on the files that you want to recover, then you will recover lost data from your Android phone.

gunetel

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Xperia Z3
Most files backup utilities in Android either back up to a file on SD card or to your gmail account as individual items.
Failing the above working, and if your phone is enable USB debugging, connect your Android phone to your laptop and use an Android Data Recovery program to be able to view the deleted files in the task window. After this, click on the files that you want to recover, then you will recover lost data from your Android phone.

This app doesn't seem work on old android phones

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
This app doesn't seem work on old android phones
I wouldn't think the age of the phone matters. It's dependant on the version of Android the phone is running.
What do you consider an old android phone??

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I wouldn't think the age of the phone matters. It's dependant on the version of Android the phone is running.
What do you consider an old android phone??
Droid x came out in 2010. I'd say 5 years is an old phone.