Data plans

mustang125

Reaction score
Ordering my new phone and have a question. Looking at Verizon website it looks like I need to get the $45. data plan because we use Microsoft Exchange for our work e-mails. Is there a way to receive my work e-mails using the $29. data plan? I am to cheep to spend the extra $15 a month if I don't need to. Is there some other benefit to the expensive data plan?

crspang

Reaction score
Try it with the cheaper option first, if it doesn't work then you can either add it or return the phone. I think you'll be fine with the cheaper option though.

Could you set up gmail (via your computer) to sync with exchange? I think you can do that and that'll eliminate the need to do it from your phone.

cpinto

Reaction score
Ordering my new phone and have a question. Looking at Verizon website it looks like I need to get the $45. data plan because we use Microsoft Exchange for our work e-mails. Is there a way to receive my work e-mails using the $29. data plan? I am to cheep to spend the extra $15 a month if I don't need to. Is there some other benefit to the expensive data plan?

Yes, the $29 plans works just fine. That's what I have, and we use an Exchange server at work. Just set it up as an additional email account. You just need your domain\user name, password, and exchange server name such as (mail.xxxxx.com)

Select Sync for this account, and your are done.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

For a normal consumer you want the regular 29.99$ data plan, it gets you what you want, unlimited data.

Brokn68

Reaction score

Yes, the $29 plans works just fine. That's what I have, and we use an Exchange server at work. Just set it up as an additional email account. You just need your domain\user name, password, and exchange server name such as (mail.xxxxx.com)

Select Sync for this account, and your are done.

+1 works for me this way too.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
you only need to get the 45 dollar plan if you need verizon to host your exchange account.

if you have a work/corporate exchange account all you need is the 29 dollar plan.

LuN3yDaV3

Reaction score
I'm not sure what other email clients work for Exchange, but K-9 works for me. I had to setup my exchange account to use IMAP for it to work. Our corporate security policy doesn't allow direct access to the exchange server from wifi or 3G.

Dawg

Reaction score
for some reason I couldnt get exchange to work on the 29.00 plan once I switched to the 45 it worked fine. I am wondering if since i got it set up and working can I switch back

Ronbo19

Reaction score
Download Touchdown from the market. I use that with our exchange server, syncs my email, contacts and calender instantly (I actually get my email on my Droid before my Outlook sometimes). There is a one time $14.99 charge for it, but thats better than the ongoing monthly charge from Verizon. It has a 7 day trial period I believe to make sure it will work for your server.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Go with the $45 a month plan. It will be the penalty you pay for asking the question without searching the forum.

Dawg

Reaction score
Download Touchdown from the market. I use that with our exchange server, syncs my email, contacts and calender instantly (I actually get my email on my Droid before my Outlook sometimes). There is a one time $14.99 charge for it, but thats better than the ongoing monthly charge from Verizon. It has a 7 day trial period I believe to make sure it will work for your server.
was already using that but still had to use the 45 dollar plan to get it running

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
was already using that but still had to use the 45 dollar plan to get it running

Weird. I have never had the 45 dollar plan and I have used exchange since day one. Try changing it and see if it continues to work.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Who hosts your Exchange server?

No problems using the $30 plan here either for Exchange w/ ActiveSync.