Data backup

Actuallee

Reaction score
So what is the best way to back up files on my gnex before I unlock it? I was stupid and waited to do so. And is there a way to backup all the apps I have without having to go in and redownload each one again?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
The apps themselves are backed up by your Google account and will re-download from the market as soon as you sign in. Any data associated sith them, however, will be lost. Your contacts are backed up with your Google account, if you have that set up. I'm trying to think of anything else you'd need backed up, but you should be good.

Sent from the best phone on Verizon!

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
There are a few options.
A - As mentioned above, Google should sync your apps back to your device after the wipe. Everything on your virtual SD card you will be responsible for yourself. Data and settings for most of those apps will be lost as well.

B - Use an app to backup the apps, Astro and My Backup for example I believe can do this. This still doesn't back up your data and settings or stuff on the sdcard.

C - Use the built in backup via command line. I haven't used this method, but it sounds good in theory. Essentially you plug your phone into your PC, type in a line or two, your phone makes a backup and sends it to your PC (I am not sure if it automatically backs up SD card data, so you probably will still be personally accountable for it). But then you would unlock, let it wipe your device, and then root your device. Once rooted (do not install a custom ROM yet), restore your backup. Once your backup is restored, use something like Titanium Backup or My Backup to make a rooted backup if you plan on changing ROMs.