Data and voice at same time.

tecwizrd

Reaction score
I posted this over at XDA, bu thought it was a good idea to post here also. I was browsing the Dinc forum and ran across a post about an OTA update. The poster says that verizon is working out the data and voice feature for newer phones. The consensus is that cdma/gsm phones will be able to do both at once. Anyone heard anything on this. It would seem that the D2G falls in this catagory.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I posted this over at XDA, bu thought it was a good idea to post here also. I was browsing the Dinc forum and ran across a post about an OTA update. The poster says that verizon is working out the data and voice feature for newer phones. The consensus is that cdma/gsm phones will be able to do both at once. Anyone heard anything on this. It would seem that the D2G falls in this catagory.

I sort of doubt it. I do vaguely remember seeing something about that but I don't think it will be in the immediate future. If at all.

To me it's pretty much something I would never use so it's not a big deal.

Genetics

Reaction score
If I recall the new lte network supports data and voice at the same time hence the new phones required.

Pmoser

Reaction score
Actually its the chips in the 4g phones there is two chips. One for data one for voice.this allows you to have voice and data

Pmoser

Reaction score
Thanks for the info really infromative. I think it is possible if Verizon allows it

tommyg562000

Reaction score
The thunderbolt does it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Almost any GSM phone that supports GPRS (and anything above GPRS) can run voice and data at the same time; it's implied for GPRS class 4 and higher, and for anything HSPA.

The only thing preventing that is the carrier's network settings.

LTE is, in essense, a “data-only” network, and voice goes over LTE using the exact same means as data, i.e. it gets sent as your regular IP packets along with anything “data”-related like web browsing etc; in LTE the only difference between voice and data is that VoIP packets have the maximum possible QoS priority.

Therefore, Thunderbolt, as an LTE phone, always uses only data, no “voice” in the CDMA/GSM sense of that term.

Bense

Reaction score
data and voice at the same time?

I can't help but think of this
twochicksatth128654867122996477.jpg

tothenet

Reaction score
Typically, LTE phones carriers voice data over data connection, which is VoIP. Thought VoIP technology is quite popular and a lot easier to implement than before, it's not quite good over wireless network.

Verizon uses different scheme. It maintains 2 wireless connections, which are 1x and LTE. All voice data is carried over traditional 1x carrier and data is over LTE.

Voice requires very robust connection and low latency, which prevents big packet size and complicated coding scheme. And also voice connection lasts very long time. Data connection requires high packet size and complicated coding scheme for efficiency, which is bad for voice. Nobody wants to talk to somebody who replies a few seconds later due to delay.

So, LTE has more than enough bandwidth to carry voice data, subscriber feels better if voice data is carried over 1x network.

Newest CDMA standard allows simultaneous voice and data connection but Verizon didn't roll it out. There are a few phones that are ready for this standard and can support via OTA but it didn't happen yet. I guess it's not in the priority list at all due to commercialization of LTE, which supports voice and data at the same time.

OP
tecwizrd

tecwizrd

Reaction score
Data and voice at same time

@tothenet
"Newest CDMA standard allows simultaneous voice and data connection but Verizon didn't roll it out. There are a few phones that are ready for this standard and can support via OTA but it didn't happen yet. I guess it's not in the priority list at all due to commercialization of LTE, which supports voice and data at the same time."

Thats kinda the point I think. It appears that VZW is going to roll out this feature. Existing phones that are cdma/gsm and new lte phones should be able to talk and text at the same time.

@Bense -- Marvelous! Such a good movie. :icon_ banana:

silver6054

Reaction score
@tothenet
"Newest CDMA standard allows simultaneous voice and data connection but Verizon didn't roll it out. There are a few phones that are ready for this standard and can support via OTA but it didn't happen yet. I guess it's not in the priority list at all due to commercialization of LTE, which supports voice and data at the same time."

Thats kinda the point I think. It appears that VZW is going to roll out this feature. Existing phones that are cdma/gsm and new lte phones should be able to talk and text at the same time.

@Bense -- Marvelous! Such a good movie. :icon_ banana:
Still don't get this! GSM/CDMA phones can support voice/data, but only on GSM. So is the claim that the Droid 2 Global will be able to do this on CDMA?

tothenet

Reaction score
No d2g phones can't do voice and data on cdma network. Its cdma limitation.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
hookbill, I'm still not sure why Thunderbolt, as an LTE device, can't do that, considering LTE was made to provide primarily IP services with voice over IP.