Dark UI is Back In Android N

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
night-mode.jpg

One of the biggest complaints that I get from Marshmallow users is all the white in the app drawer background, settings, and other places. It looks like you will be able to get your dark UI back with Android N.

Within the System UI Tuner in Android N you will find an option labled "Color and Appearance". Inside of that option you will find the "Night Mode" option. This is more than a dark theme. This is all about less strain on the eyes. There is a red tint mode allowing for less eye stress.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hopefully it makes it to the final release this time and they expand it past just the system settings menu...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm hoping this feature improves and expands as well. It's super janky right now. I have to toggle it off and on a bunch of times to get Night Mode to activate or deactivate. Hoping that doesn't mean they're planning to toss it aside again when this update becomes official.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm hoping this feature improves and expands as well. It's super janky right now. I have to toggle it off and on a bunch of times to get Night Mode to activate or deactivate. Hoping that doesn't mean they're planning to toss it aside again when this update becomes official.
How are you activating it? I use the app drawer and select night mode. Done.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
How are you activating it? I use the app drawer and select night mode. Done.
I'm assuming you mean the notification shade when you say app drawer. That definitely works better. I was toggling it in the System UI Tuner settings. It's super janky there.

Also, thanks for following me around these threads and responding. Getting a good glimpse at the new notifications. Too bad Tapa doesn't have support for quick reply in the notification tray yet.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm assuming you mean the notification shade when you say app drawer. That definitely works better. I was toggling it in the System UI Tuner settings. It's super janky there.

Also, thanks for following me around these threads and responding. Getting a good glimpse at the new notifications. Too bad Tapa doesn't have support for quick reply in the notification tray yet.
I'm talking about this, see screen shot. I click night mode and it instantly goes to that orange hue.

Screenshot_20160310-112715.png

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. That's not the app drawer, you silly. :p

After you said that, I tried that toggle there. It works as it should, but if I go into the settings menu and try to toggle it on and off, it's janky and doesn't respond right away. You have to toggle it back and forth a bunch to get it to turn off or on.

Your way seems to work right away, every time.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
As you can see here, I'm in the settings and have it toggled off, but it still says On & I had the dimmed screen with the orange hue showing.

I opened the notification shade & tapped that toggle & that turned it right off, but I had tapped the toggle in this screen shot several times to get it on & several more before it would turn off.

cae0781666f2caa77c66ba21b2094740.jpg

Settings>System UI Tuner>Color & Appearance>Night Mode

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Yeah. That's not the app drawer, you silly. :p

After you said that, I tried that toggle there. It works as it should, but if I go into the settings menu and try to toggle it on and off, it's janky and doesn't respond right away. You have to toggle it back and forth a bunch to get it to turn off or on.

Your way seems to work right away, every time.
Oops I mean notification pull down. lol

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
System tuner UI is broken for me too. Takes 4 or 5 taps to work.