Damaged SD Card notice?

lancelot323

Reaction score
Hi all, I need some help.

All was working this morning, until I tried to edit a wallpaper on my phone. It was a wallpaper that was in use at the time, and I got an i/o error from my image program when I saved it.

Now the Droid says damaged SD Card! I can still access it through recovery(I'm backing it up right now), but the phone itself says "Damaged".

Anyone know why this would happen? I deleted the wallpaper that appeared to be corrupt...I have a ton of apps and music on here; including my Titanium backup donation files(so I can't lose those). Any tips?

Running Sapphire 2.0.0, Blacked out theme...

kevev99

Reaction score
I had the same issue last weekend. I had replaced my 16GB SD card with a new 32GB SD card. I had copied everything on the 16GB to my hard drive, and then over to the 32GB. It was working fine for 4 days. I tried doing a Nandroid backup in recovery and it just kept hanging. I pulled the battery and rebooted. I re-tried the Nandroid backup and it hung again. I pulled the battery and rebooted. When the phone booted I had the SD card damaged message.

I couldn't access it at all through the phone or even USB mount in recovery. I was able to access it via my PC using the card reader and get anything I had backed up or was new since the swap. I re-formatted the 32GB SD card and copied everything back. It seems to be working OK now (knock on wood).

You may just have to use a card reader with your PC to copy everything over, reformat, and then copy back. It'll take a few hours, but it should work. This happened after I had flashed to Sapphire 2.0.0. Keep in mind I installed the 32GB card after I had flashed. I don't think it's anything with the ROM.

OP
lancelot323

lancelot323

Reaction score
EDIT: New SD Card works! Turns out the last one was damaged; Windows could not finish the format, and now the computer won't see it...

Bought a new SD Card...16 GB. I asked at the Verizon store I normally go to and the dude there said the OG Droid only can read up to a 16 GB card? I thought it was 32...maybe that was the problem with Nandroid hanging. I had never had that problem, thankfully.

I'm copying everything from the one I backed up over to the new one, gonna see if that works. If it does, I'll just reformat the old one and keep it as a backup...

Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

kevev99

Reaction score
No problem. If you look at the specs from Motorola it can handle up to 32GB. The guy at the store was wrong. I have found that the reps at the Verizon stores are not the most knowledgeable. You get better service from the reps on the phone. Also, I've shifted to getting my phones and accessories from Best Buy or another store. I've had far too many bad experiences with the Verizon Wireless stores and their employees to ever go back and rely on them.

Glad you got it working.