Apps on SD card gone after reboot

rickt1152

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is a Sapphire issue, but this issue only presented itself following my upgrade to 1.11.

I am running Sapphire 1.11 with ADW Launcher and this is occurring anytime I reboot the phone. Restarting the Launcher does not bring back any applications that are saved to SD. It will also not allow me to install an application from the market or restore from Titanium Backup.

When I used to run Launcher Pro s series of launcher restarts would eventually bring everything back, but no more.

The apps show up in Manage Applications in Settings, but they are greyed out. The Titanium Backup just runs forever trying to restore an application on the SD card and never completes.

The apps are on the card, but for some reason the system will not recognize them. I don't believe the card is corrupted as I can read/write to it.

Short of a wipe and reinstall, any suggestions on what is going on here.

OP
R

rickt1152

Reaction score
Going to bump my own question with another question. Upon switching to Froyo, I never partioned my SD card with an Apps2SD partition. The apps seemed to install there just fine without doing so, but I notice that the option exists within CW/RM to do so. Still looking for any guidance as to how to prevent the missing apps on my card issue, but also wanted to get opinions as to whether the partition is necessary.

racketier

Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with this topic, but if you aren't able to find an answer here I recommend trying the sapphire IRC channel.

Server: irc.freenode.net
Port: 6667
Channel: #cvpcs

djembeman

Reaction score
RM SD Partition Borked my 32GB SD card

Going to bump my own question with another question. Upon switching to Froyo, I never partioned my SD card with an Apps2SD partition. The apps seemed to install there just fine without doing so, but I notice that the option exists within CW/RM to do so. Still looking for any guidance as to how to prevent the missing apps on my card issue, but also wanted to get opinions as to whether the partition is necessary.

So there I was running BBv0.5 and I was pissed that the Rom took up so much phone storage space. Out of curiosity I tried the Rom Manager option to create an Apps2SD partition. Well all that did for me was this: Every time my phone says "Preparing SD Card" and once the phone actually mounts the SD card, my phone reboots. For example, booting. My phone does a reboot of it's self every time I boot it up, kind of a double boot. The reboot goes right to the boot animation on the reboot. It also does a reboot whenever I turn of USB storage. Those are pretty much the only instances when the SD card is mounted on the phone.

I tried reformatting the SD card from the phone, from MAC OS, from Windows 7 and even got the SD formatting program specific to SD cards and none of that fixed my problem. It seems to me that this option does permanent damage to your SD card. If you dare try, use an old SD card that's just lying around the house. I bought another $100 32GB SD card and my 1st time so far, the phone booted normally. I'm restoring all of my data to the new card as we speak (or as I type).

I really don't think this is at all necessary anyways once you get Froyo. Since the OS has apps 2 SD built in there is no need to do it. There is even a command that you can do on a non-rooted phone that will allow you to move all apps to SD I was reading about on xd forums. It doesn't really allow all, but certainly things from the market that really make sense to move to SD.

I also like the app "Move2SD Enabler." It moves a whole lot more than what you can normally move. I haven't tried the xd forum code since this app is working for me.

djembeman

Reaction score
As far as your problem with apps not showing up that are saved to your SD card. Are you giving them time to load up? It's important not to move any app that, in the app information "system," says that it starts on boot. Also, any apps that you use widgets from should not be moved to the SD card. It takes longer for apps on the SD card to load.

jayman350

Reaction score
I have moved just about every app to the sd card that I can. I partitioned my sd card through rom manager. I don't use any of the "move to sd" apps, just go into manage applications and move them over one by one. If the dev hasn't set up the app for sd card useage then you'll probably run into problems by forcing it there.

I have also noticed that when I reboot my phone it will take a minute or so before all of the apps show up in the drawer, even after the preparing sd card notification is gone.

I would make a copy of your sd card to your computer, partition via rom manager, then reload your data (music, videos, pics) to the sd card. After that I would then reinstall your apps to the phone and move them over one at a time to the sd card.

I have a feeling that b/c you don't have the "sd-ext" partition you are having issues with the apps that are on there.

djembeman

Reaction score
I have a feeling that b/c you don't have the "sd-ext" partition you are having issues with the apps that are on there.[/QUOTE said:
So if you are in Root Explorer can you see what is in "sd-ext" or does it appear to be empty. I have that folder, but have not gone into ROM Manager to create an SD card partition. I don't recall if I had that folder when I was running Stock FRG22D, but I did move pretty much all of my apps to SD using "Move2SD Enabler" from the Market. I can move Flash Player, Adobe Air, Adobe Reader, all of my games. There are only a few system apps that I can't move. I have no problem with my apps loading at all.

All I know is that the Rom Manager option jacked something up on my SD card and I had to get a new one. It was a real pain having my phone reboot every time the SD card mounted on the phone.

I don't know what created the "sd-ext" folder on my new SD card. Maybe LFY 1.71 created it, I'm not sure.

Last edited:

djembeman

Reaction score
Apps aren't even saved to sd-ext. The apps that are saved to SD can be found under mnt/asec or mnt/secure/asec. This is when using Root Explorer. Astro will allow you to see what is in mnt/asec.

vipintrisal

Reaction score
Ran into the same problem, solved it by clearing the Level 2 RAM in the RAM Manager...and the apps were back in no time...but i need a correct solution of this problem...

lkevinl

Reaction score
Ran into the same problem, solved it by clearing the Level 2 RAM in the RAM Manager...and the apps were back in no time...but i need a correct solution of this problem...

Thanks for the absolutely useless contribution to this thread. Maybe you can include more detail next time for people with the same issue like what is Ram Manager, who do you clear the Level 2 RAM, etc. so that we don't have to continue Googling...

droid4u2

Reaction score
sd card apps missing

i'm on virgin moble with lg optimus v rooted phone. one of rooting's perks is to put apps on your sd card that otherwise aren't allowed. after doing so, (as i have many times before) all my apps on sd were marked not installed. and icons replaced with the green droid standard icon(this all happened while i was using an app and didn't pay much attention when my phone froze bc freezing happend regularly for me). it was later i realized sd apps missing and i googled and ended on this thread. didn't find my answer, but i went to the apps manager screen in settings. all the apps were greyed out except for one of the apps that wasn't meant for sd card installation. it had it's regular icon and said "computing.." which to me meant this app was somehow responsible. i "move to phone" this app, and all my other apps came back lickety split. hope this helps in some way.

droid4u2

Reaction score
apps missing again

my previous post made it seem simple, but my apps went missing again. my instructions didn't work. instead i had to turn the phone off and on, and then go to settings, applications, manage, sd card apps(apps on sd card selected), and look for one that was locking up. moved to phone and it worked. who knows what tomorrow will bring.