DAE Hate HTC's Web Browser?

jimmiem

Reaction score
I was perfectly satisfied with the stock Android browser on my OG Droid. HTC's browser is perfectly serviceable except for one fatal flaw: it prefills "http://www."

What if the website I'm visiting doesn't start with "www"? It doesn't even matter. I can't train myself to not type "www." and so I always get "http://www.www." which frustrates me to no end! Nevermind when I'm just trying to type a search in the browser bar.

Of course I switched browsers to Dolphin, but I don't really care for that browser either. I just want the stock Froyo or Gingerbread broswer.

Is there another alternative I should be considering?

hyatari

Reaction score
I like the browser mostly besides what you mentioned and what's even worse is that there is no way to kill all the pages you have visited without hitting the back button a million times.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Miren Browser. So much better. Auto 'fullscreen' mode, tons of options, real tabbed browsing like desktop firefox. Screw stock browsers.

georgek

Reaction score
I like the browser mostly besides what you mentioned and what's even worse is that there is no way to kill all the pages you have visited without hitting the back button a million times.

You can open a new window, close the other windows and then hit the back button. It's a pain, but it beats hitting the back button a million times.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Did i mention gesture controlled back/forward for every tab? Power user options in advanced settings? Built in brightness controls that dont affect your system brightness settings. Volume up/down can be set to scroll the page, or navigate through the tabs, or just plain old volume control. Tons more.

Miren Browser is Best Browser.

OP
J

jimmiem

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on Miren. I'm testing it now.

stuigi

Reaction score
Miren Browser. So much better. Auto 'fullscreen' mode, tons of options, real tabbed browsing like desktop firefox. Screw stock browsers.

Excellant tip. I downloaded the browser fifteen minutes ago and I am already in love with it. What a pleasure so far. I am hopefully optimistic about this one

OP
J

jimmiem

Reaction score
Found a solution right here in the forums:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ser-apk-modified-no-installed.html#post550280

This post links a themed, deodexed version of the froyo browser. I was totally content with this browser on my Droid OG. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to install it but it's working beautifully.

My only issue is the theme. I'm not crazy about the colors. At least now I have hope (and a usable browser), now I just need to find an unmodified froyo browser.apk.