D3 in D1 OEM Dock

Reaction score
Did you just cut the top plastic flange off? I just ordered my D3 and have a dock from the D1 that would be great to have use of.

OP
cyber3dx

cyber3dx

Reaction score
Not for the faint of heart......

Ok, so here is a guide for modifying your D1 Cradle to fit the D3 phone. The process is the same if you are adding an HDMI cable (note the cable will exit the cradle unless you can find a 3 inch long HDMI cable extender).

Tools: Dremel tool, Torx t6 and ? a smaller one which I don't know the size - but it is tiny! and two part epoxy.

There are 8 t6 screws (left the adhesive backed rubber feet to reveal two screws per side).
View attachment 40708

New cable routing. You will be switching sides so this cable is too short to leave in the factory position.
View attachment 40709

This is the factory position. You'll need to unscrew (the two tiny screws).
View attachment 40710

Using the Dremel tool, cut the cover at the ends. Right up to the edge. Take a good look at this image and the next one. Ensure that the phone back can rest flat against the cradle.
View attachment 40711

Inside view of the cut out.
View attachment 40712

Continued in the next post....

Last edited:
OP
cyber3dx

cyber3dx

Reaction score
.... continued

Using the Dremel tool cut out a hole for the connector at the back and in the cradle trough. The trick is to line up the phone to the cradle, using a drill bit, make a hole as close as possible to the location of the connector (be sure to remove the phone before you drill). Put the phone back in and you can see the position of it's connector through the inside of the cradle. Now, it's a little clearer where to cut out the hole. FIt the phone and plug in the connectors to see if it fits well. I tossed the retaining metal part (the part with the tiny screws).
View attachment 40713

Once the cables are in place. You will need to dremel some clearance on the base for the connector to fit. Epoxy the connectors in place. Be sure to keep the phone docked while the epoxy sets (otherwise the connector will move out of place and you're screwed). AND be sure you don't over do the epoxy - you don't want to glue your phone to the dock! Be sure to put the metal weight back in. And fit all eight screws and the rubber pads back in.
View attachment 40714

The final product. The fit is a hair tight. But, I love it.
View attachment 40715

Good luck. I hope some of you will make this mod!

Last edited:

husker_fan

Reaction score
Looks great, I will need to look at my Seidio dock when I get home to see if I can do the same to fit my D3 with Otterbox, not getting my hopes up.

REMilk

Reaction score
Thanks for the instructions! I will do this 'mod' to my OG Droid dock.

I have one question.... how do you start the 'desk/multimedia' app?

pistacio

Reaction score

Install launcherpro, hold anywhere on the homescreen (doesn't matter which launcher is active), choose shortcut, activities, and you should be able to find it in the list (not sure of the exact name).

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums App

Last edited:
OP
cyber3dx

cyber3dx

Reaction score

I use Alarm Clock Plus V2. Great function and features and it knows that it is docked.

OP
cyber3dx

cyber3dx

Reaction score
Well, I've been using this modified D1 Dock daily for a while now and I love it. It is a whole lot better than the D3 Dock.

I decided to connect the cable directly to the power plug (wall socket) rather than the computer as I don't need to transfer or backup as often as before. As a matter of fact, I am starting to use BT Transfer rather than the cable for small file syncs.

audischwaaa

Reaction score
i'm just wondering, does the D3 automatically go into dock mode or is this a glorified kickstand? i'm not knocking your project, i just want to know cause if it doesn't send it into dock mode, the only point is so you don't have to hold your phone, which is still well worth it.

As I understand it, D3 (and other droids) have a dock service that simplifies the layout especially for multimedia, ie has bigger buttons, bigger clock digits for use as an alarmclock, etc.

OP
cyber3dx

cyber3dx

Reaction score
Well, the primary reason for my decision to do this mod was the fact that the new D3 dock is crap. At least the D1 looks good, is compact, has a chunk of steel inside to weigh it down, etc...

As mentioned before, I use Alarm Clock Plus and it automatically goes into dock mode which turns the screen into landscape mode and turns the D3 into a clock/alarm clock. And, it charges the phone and can hard link to the computer if desired. I still may install the HDMI connector for fun.

So, it is actually more than just a phone holder. I do wish other companies would come out with a greater variety and better quality docks.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can appreciate a good mod like this - awesome work :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
cyber3dx

cyber3dx

Reaction score
I can appreciate a good mod like this - awesome work :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Thanks man.

Cheers.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums