D3 folder "Albums" and directory structure

KuddlKat

Reaction score
:mellow: Sorry, this isn't that important but it's been bugging me for months.

When I first got my DROID³, I saw a folder on the internal memory called "Albums." It was empty. I have never been able to figure out if this was to be used for music albums or picture albums.

Does any program in the D3 care about what goes in this folder, or is it really just arbitrary?
(I put music folders in there, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.)

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Instead of a helpful answer, I'll just say: I dropped about 100 MP3s into Album, and they happily showed up in the Music app, including album art. :) Not sure that solves your problem, but maybe it points you in a useful direction!

-Matt

OP
KuddlKat

KuddlKat

Reaction score
Instead of a helpful answer, I'll just say: I dropped about 100 MP3s into Album, and they happily showed up in the Music app, including album art. :) Not sure that solves your problem, but maybe it points you in a useful direction!
-Matt
I'm not trying to sound snide or unappreciative, but I can drop pictures into just about any folder and they'll show up in the photo gallery apps (including album art). Is the phone more selective about music locations?

Thanks for the input though. :)

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
No worries! Anyway, I created a folder called (cleverly) "My Folder" and copied over some MP3s and pictures. Both the music and (like you noted) the pictures showed up immediately in their respective native apps.

I probably should have said at the beginning, "My hunch is whenever a media file is copied to the Droid3, the corresponding database is automatically updated. Regardless of where it's put***" In other words, I think the answer to your question is, "It's arbitrary!" :)

-Matt

*** The one exception to the "arbitrary" rule as I understand is if there's a file called .nomedia in the folder, which prevents indexing.

OP
KuddlKat

KuddlKat

Reaction score
The one exception to the "arbitrary" rule as I understand is if there's a file called .nomedia in the folder, which prevents indexing.

Guess I should have tested that arbitrary rule myself. Anyway, thanks for the .nomedia info too. I had heard something about that but hadn't tried it.