D2G - Use With Any Overseas GSM Carrier

Chelovek

Reaction score
Good news for D2G users who travel outside North America! You no longer have to use the incredibly expensive VZW/Vodaphone SIM card. Last year, I had my phone unlocked prior to a trip to Russia. [You're entitled to unlock your phone (and SIM card) 60 days after you purchased it, and can do that up to four times per year on your account, meaning you can unlock up to four phones.]

When I got to Russia, I bought a MTS SIM card, plugged it into my phone and voila...nada! I couldn't send or receive calls. Back to the drawing board. During the year, I rooted my phone and subsequently unlocked its GSM radio (see links My Experience Of Gsm Band Unlock--Worked On 330 To Gb - RootzWiki and TBH US GSM Band Unlock for Droid 2 Global and Pro Update.zip Public Release - MyDroidWorld.

This time I went to Kazakhstan and while there borrowed a friends Deutsche-Telekom SIM card, inserted it into my D2G and...TA DA! It worked! I could both send and receive. It seems that I forgot that many of the GSM providers in the rest of the world (except Vodaphone) use the two GSM bands that VZW blocks on the D2G. Anyway, all is working well both here and overseas, without having to use the incredibly expensive Vodaphone SIM card. By the way, I did not test it for data, but I imagine that is only a matter of purchasing the right plan from the overseas GSM provider.

Good Luck and Sheslivovo Putie!

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
no you can only unlock one phone every 10 months
I unlocked mine 2 days ago

edit:
see
Global capabilities - The DROID Wiki

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/365596
Please keep in mind that only Verizon Wireless Global Support Team completes the SIM Unlock procedure. Please contact our Global Support team at 9085594899.The following qualifications must be met for the SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) to be unlocked:Must be a Verizon Wireless customer.
  • The device being unlocked must be active on a Verizon Wireless line of service.
  • The line of service must be active at least 60 days.
  • The line of service must be in good standing for the past 60 days.
  • Only one SIM Unlock per line every 10 months.
  • The customer's manufacturer's device warranty is not affected by a SIM unlock as long as the customer remains with Verizon Wireless.

OP
Chelovek

Chelovek

Reaction score
Thanks for the correction. My brain is still somewhere over the Atlantic.:biggrin:

sonyjohn

Reaction score
International Roaming

Good news for D2G users who travel outside North America! You no longer have to use the incredibly expensive VZW/Vodaphone SIM card. Last year, I had my phone unlocked prior to a trip to Russia. [You're entitled to unlock your phone (and SIM card) 60 days after you purchased it, and can do that up to four times per year on your account, meaning you can unlock up to four phones.]

When I got to Russia, I bought a MTS SIM card, plugged it into my phone and voila...nada! I couldn't send or receive calls. Back to the drawing board. During the year, I rooted my phone and subsequently unlocked its GSM radio (see links My Experience Of Gsm Band Unlock--Worked On 330 To Gb - RootzWiki and TBH US GSM Band Unlock for Droid 2 Global and Pro Update.zip Public Release - MyDroidWorld.

This time I went to Kazakhstan and while there borrowed a friends Deutsche-Telekom SIM card, inserted it into my D2G and...TA DA! It worked! I could both send and receive. It seems that I forgot that many of the GSM providers in the rest of the world (except Vodaphone) use the two GSM bands that VZW blocks on the D2G. Anyway, all is working well both here and overseas, without having to use the incredibly expensive Vodaphone SIM card. By the way, I did not test it for data, but I imagine that is only a matter of purchasing the right plan from the overseas GSM provider.

Good Luck and Sheslivovo Putie!

This time I went to Russia and while there i bought friends xxsim SIM card, inserted it into my D2G and It worked for me . I was able to send and receive.It seems that many of the GSM providers in the rest of the world all is working well both here and overseas, without having to use the incredibly expensive Vodaphone SIM card. By the way, I did not test it for data, but I imagine that is only a matter of purchasing the right plan from the overseas GSM provider.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Once upon a time I was a TMO user and they allowed you to unlock your phone 90 days after purchase. I don't know if they still have this program.