D2G mp3 music skipping

tebower

Reaction score
I use Circle Battery widget. I uninstalled it to test this, and it did not improve the stock music playing experience. So that suggestion doesn't seem universal.

OP
joggy

joggy

Reaction score
OK, thanks all who suggested apps or workarounds. I gave them all a shot and in the end one app fit the bill and I know am enjoying clean skip 'n pop free music on my D2G.

While I had tried a slew of 3rd party music players to see if they could combat the problem, only PowerAMP was successful (thanks kelemvor). I now have clean awesome sounding music again.

I hate the fact that I had to pay for a solution to a bug, but the app is so feature rich in the end it doesn't really bother me.

Moto still needs to fix this, but until then this works for me.

bancevic

Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that this is likely a problem with decoding on the stock music player. I have 3 media players installed - stock, Vital Player, and Zimly.

I found one song that I could reliably reproduce the skipping sound at the same intervals, and played it with all three apps. Stock skipped as expected, Vital Player did not skip, and Zimly did not skip. Went back to stock, and it skipped again, while the others again did not.

Honestly, while this issue used to bother me, I completely switched to using Zimly almost exclusively two weeks ago. It's by far the best designed music AND video playing app that you've never heard of. I came across a mention to it in an unrelated forum post, and installed it from the Market. I was immediately in love with it's style and function. It has modules for music and video, and sounds great. You can actually "quit" the app, unlike the stock music player. It is constantly updated, and also comes with a really cool "pre-lock screen" lock screen music interface. Once you see it, that will make sense (it doesn't have a widget you have to add to widget locker to get music controls, it actually has a music interface that appears before the main lock screen when waking up a phone while music is playing - you can unlock from the interface, and it does skip the system lock screen).

Anyway...kinda went on a bit there...

I am having the same issue with my D2G. Is there a podcasting app that can be used as workaround for this issue? I have tried DoggCatcher, Google Listen, and BeyondPod... and get the same popping/skipping issues when playing downloaded podcasts.

OP
joggy

joggy

Reaction score
You probably could just scan the podcast (Doggcatcher's for instance) folder in PowerAMP, but then you lose positioning which kinda stinks.

I have noticed it in all other apps too, but when listening to podcasts in Doggcatcher I just try to ignore it. Form me it's more bothersome with the music. Luckily for now PowerAMP works for that.

cpraye

Reaction score
Songs "skipping" with Music player/Bluetooth

Thanks leobg. I agree too that many might not even notice it when playing mp3s. Oddly enough, when I experience it with mp3s I can play music streaming over Audiogalaxy via the same headphones without issue.

The link is https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/44033

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

It was EXACTLY the same issue with the Milestone - streaming played fine. MP3 were skipping. Another thing was it was not skipping when playing over bluetooth. I haven't noticed skipping over bluetooth on the D2G, but I have used BT audio very little on the D2G to be 100% sure it is clear. But I suspect it is same bug as before, just less prominent.

I've had the "skipping" issues while playing MP3's with the stock music player through head phones (tried several different pairs of head phones) and as well as using bluetooth to play songs through my computer. Sometimes it's very noticeable, sometimes it's not. And of course I bring my DROID 2 Global to Verizon and I can't duplicate the issue. Glad to know I'm not the only one with issues and that it's not in my head.

kingwaffle

Reaction score
For those of you with skipping, try enabling StageFright.

It's in the "Droid Overclock" app under Extras -> Build Properties.

The tradeoff is that it'll break camcorder PLAYBACK functionality. Videos will record fine, but you'll be unable to play them back.

ExodusC

Reaction score
For those of you with skipping, try enabling StageFright.

It's in the "Droid Overclock" app under Extras -> Build Properties.

The tradeoff is that it'll break camcorder PLAYBACK functionality. Videos will record fine, but you'll be unable to play them back.

So far this seems to have worked! Unfortunately, you're right, camcorder playback is broken; very laggy.

I'm going to play around with the StageFright options some more. Someone should post this on the Motorola forums.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global running Fission using the DroidForums app.

leobg

Reaction score
Not only camera playback gets broken but everything high-rate video too. Youtube HD is a no go, etc. Other than that - music gets indeed fixed!

For those willing to try without paying for Droid Overclock - in /system/build.prop:
media.stagefright.enable-player=true
media.stagefright.enable-meta=true
media.stagefright.enable-scan=true
media.stagefright.enable-http=true

Edit: last line set to false fixes youtube. But player video playback remains choppy. Feels like it loses hardware accelleration. Maybe Stagefright is partially broken on D2G (and Moto disabled it for that)

Last edited:

kingwaffle

Reaction score
I don't think it's broken. I'll bet they got lazy and didn't update their gallery/camera apps to work with Stagefright (I believe Stagefright was added with Froyo)

leobg

Reaction score
I don't think it's broken. I'll bet they got lazy and didn't update their gallery/camera apps to work with Stagefright (I believe Stagefright was added with Froyo)

You are likely right, but I would say not lazy, but out of time. Many things on this phone look rushed... Yes - Stagefright is a new 2.2 feature

Food

Reaction score
mp3 music skipping

I admit that I haven't been able yet to read all of the posts on this issue (repeated skips in songs, and never in the same place), but I think I have found the fix on my Xperia (using MixZing Premium). I listen to mp3 music all the time, so when this problem started occurring, it was really driving me crazy and destroying my using it for music. I wondered about everything I could think of (headphones, Total Bithead amp, cord, SD card, 320 kbps bit rate on mp3 files, MixZing app, phone itself), some of which might seem dumb, but I'm not geeky enough to know better. I downloaded "OSMonitor" from Market, to see what was using CPU. Much to my surprise, a news source that I use but thought was off, was using 86 - 92 percent CPU! I thought it was off, but it had to be force stopped (which may be the only way I can turn it off). Once that was done, so far everything has been fine, so it appears that the problem was too much competition for CPU.

Slipshod

Reaction score
Not only camera playback gets broken but everything high-rate video too. Youtube HD is a no go, etc. Other than that - music gets indeed fixed!

For those willing to try without paying for Droid Overclock - in /system/build.prop:
media.stagefright.enable-player=true
media.stagefright.enable-meta=true
media.stagefright.enable-scan=true
media.stagefright.enable-http=true

Edit: last line set to false fixes youtube. But player video playback remains choppy. Feels like it loses hardware accelleration. Maybe Stagefright is partially broken on D2G (and Moto disabled it for that)

Loebg, you're a lifesaver. stagefright.enable-player=true works perfectly, and even fixed the crackly noise I would get when skipping tracks. Don't care so much about video, so this has taken care of the last major "piss me off" problem I have with the D2G. I'm looking forward to my commute home now.

leobg

Reaction score
Yes, tunes sound completely different with stagefright enabled (they sound the way they are supposed to sound). Today I disabled stagefright as the video playback is something I use and it doesn't work right when stagefright is enabled. Ended up listening to FM radio in the car due to absolutely crappy sounding MP3's...
I wonder if we can replace player with 2.2 AOSP player, but I suspect video still isn't going to work.. I'll try when I get some time.