D2G Gingerbread issues

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
The apps installed on my sd card disappear from my home screens after i connect to my pc. Anyone else seen this. A reboot did not fix it.
This is the intended behaviour.

When you connect the phone to the PC in USB storage mode, the SD card is unmounted. Naturally, the programs that were installed to the SD card are no longer present in the OS. If you check the app drawer, it updates whenever you connect and disconnect USB Mass Storage mode.

If you need the program shortcuts to stay, the only option is to move them to the phone memory via “Manage applications”.

iguanad

Reaction score
This is the intended behaviour.

When you connect the phone to the PC in USB storage mode, the SD card is unmounted. Naturally, the programs that were installed to the SD card are no longer present in the OS. If you check the app drawer, it updates whenever you connect and disconnect USB Mass Storage mode.

If you need the program shortcuts to stay, the only option is to move them to the phone memory via “Manage applications”.

It did not work that way in froyo. The apps werent available to open while the USB was plugged in. They would still show up un the home screens when I unplugged. It would take a little while before I could actually open them. They appeared with the app name and a picture of a cog above it. Now in GB, the apps disappear completely and dont return to the home screens after I unplug.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Interesting, because for me they disappeared on Froyo as well.

Maybe you should try asking on Motorola Owners Forum.

mr.inter

Reaction score
Every time I turn on wifi or 3G i'm getting a message 'Download of update failed'. I'm of course running official Gingerbread and rooted. When I go to System updates it tells me that an update is being downloaded and after that I get 'Download of update failed'. Has any body encountered this?

Can I try to solve this by re-applying update.zip (4.5.607) from stock recovery? I have frozen bloatware and rooted by the one-click method.

michalee

Reaction score
This hapend to me last night after using USB storage mode. I just upgraded to Androd 2.3.3 two days ago, never had this issue before on the old OS. I use the USB a lot, to backup files and download mp3. Over 75% of my shortcuts where gone from the homescreens. I cannot have this happening every time I use the USB. Most of my Apps are on the SD card. But again never had this issue before.......HELP

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
As I have already stated, the only solution is to move the applications to the phone's internal storage.

You have 6GB of free space in there, so there should be no problems.

jak314

Reaction score
Last night my phone updated to Gingerbread. I have noticed a few problems. The notification light will blink green occasionally for no reason. It will only do this when the screen is off. Seems to start happening right after viewing a new text message.

I have noticed a few other things as well but i want to make sure they aren't user error before reporting them (phone starting up on its own, turning silent mode off on its own.)

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Tell me guys, does the new 608 still have the issue of the 3G icon shifting a pixel and not include the CRT-off animation?

If anyone's feeling brave, you can try out the old 607 hacks. I doubt they changed the framework-res.apk from version to version so you could probably get away with it. *Probably*.

MarkPhlipy

Reaction score
@jak314 - yes I have the same green flashy-light thing going on since the 2.3.3 update, no one seems to have an answer as to why yet, and I have NO notifications pending anywhere...no not even waiting updates in Market like someone suggested. Quite frustrating, but not enough to go through the trouble of a factory reset.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

jak314

Reaction score
I have noticed it will only stop blinking once I get and check an actual notification.

mrtaiko

Reaction score
Ginger Bread does not allow connecting to computer in mass storage mode

After updating to GB I can no longer connect to my computer in mass storage mode to transfer files. The phone shows that the SD card is not ready. Also, when I connect the USB cable a lot of my home screen icons are deleted.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
In USB Mass Storage mode the SD card is unmounted and it is indeed “not ready” from the phone's standpoint.

The removal of shortcuts for apps that were installed onto the SD card is a known “feature”. Move them to the phone's memory as a workaround.

mrtaiko

Reaction score
Interesting that the SD card is no longer recognized by the phone in mass storage mode. In Froyo the card was recognized by both the phone and connected computer. This made moving files easy. Since my original post I reloaded the Moto drivers on the computer and now the computer will recognize the SD card even though the phone still shows it as unmounted. At least now I can move files between the devices.

I moved all my applications from the SD card back to phone memory and the icons seem to be holding. I updated to Ginger Bbread 2 weeks ago and only today did I start having problems. Did Verizon push an update that I am not aware of?

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
This is very weird. When my phone was on Froyo, connecting the phone in USB Storage Mode automatically unmounted the SD card, and it wasn't available until I switched the USB mode to something other than Mass Storage, or disconnected the phone.

What you are describing does not look like correct behaviour for the Mass Storage Mode, because direct access to the same FAT partition from two systems at the same time is extremely dangerous.

Noger

Reaction score
Proximity sensor is to bad. random reboots... i'm so sad :(

i have a question:
If I back to stock (froyo), I can update to gb for OTA if I not live in usa? obviously i no use verizon company.

thx and sorry for me bad english.