D2 totally without power.

Sitrick2

Reaction score
So my wife's Droid 2 (rooted, running Fission) totally gave out the other day. Pressing the power button brings no screen response, and the only time the light next to the charging port lights up is a flicker immediately after plugging the phone into a wall charger.

I've done a battery pull and any reset I could find online. My wife actually took the phone into Verizon and they're sending a replacement front (everything but the battery, the simcard, and the sd card, I guess), but a friend who had gone through the same process tells me that we'll have to send in the broken D2.

So, two questions. 1) Any ideas on potentially fixing this, if only to unroot and return to stock?

And 2) if not, how worried do I have to be about Verizon getting the damn thing to work and charging us for a replacement phone?

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Did you try using another battery in it? If not put in a different battery (sure there's someone that will let you borrow their battery for 30 minutes) and sbf before sending it in.

If it still doesn't do anything then your fine and its the phone. Probably have something to do with the screen which means they'll replace it then sbf.

Sent from my RubiXed D2G

OP
S

Sitrick2

Reaction score
I sent my wife to Verizon with instructions that she ask them if she could try a new battery. The battery she has is the second battery this phone has used (she took it in for a replacement battery after about 2 months of owning it).

Especially given that they're having us keep the old battery for the new phone front, I have to think they decided it was a problem with the phone itself.

It's incredibly frustrating, especially given that the only reason I rooted and Fissioned her phone was because the stock Blurred Froyo she had on it kept causing freezings and random reboots. Fission made the damn thing more stable! Anyway. /vent

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I understand completely about it being more stable. I rooted mine about 2 days after I got it and had fission on in 3. Think its been on the stock os a total of 1 hr since then and that was waiting for it to reroot after sbf'ing. Its rediculous that the phone can be more stable with work from a few people rather than the programming group at moto can make it....

Sent from my RubiXed D2G

OP
S

Sitrick2

Reaction score
Not to harp on this, but has anyone else gone through this process before? Just trying to get multiple confirmations that I'm probably safe to send it back.

Especially given that this was a hardware issue, even if they find out it was rooted, I can probably argue them out of charging me, right? (After researching it seems like more than one person has gotten out of a $600 bill this way).

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea a second battery that is fully charged might have the power to start the droid back up. Might just be your battery. You also could try getting a 1000mA instead of the 600-800mA that usually comes with the wall chargers. Maybe that would have enough current to jump start the battery back to life. I know Moto has that rapid rate charger that puts out 1000mA i believe. I do personally own one of those and i can say it charges a lot faster than the stock Moto charger. My old BB chager is also faster and i believe it puts out 950mA. Hope this can help out