D2 Autofocus Issue / Replacement?

knivesout

Reaction score
So I have a D2, having the same problem a lot of people have had from the looks of it. Camera is stuck at the closest focusing distance and refuses to autofocus. Tried cleaning the lens, changing settings, using different camera app, installed barcode scanner, etc, and still nothing.
Is there anything else I can try to get the AF working? I don't use the camera a ton, but it's too expensive of a phone for a basic thing like the camera not to work.
I was also wondering what would happen if I was to take it to VZW, and what they would (possibly) replace it with? I don't want a D2G, but I'd be fine with a working D2 or (preferably) a comparable phone such as the DINC.

Btw, my phone is a rooted D2 running Liberty 1.5

warped1987

Reaction score
If you bring it back they will ask to see the problem, if they see its real you can get a new one, but if its rooted you better un-root and get rid of any evidence or they will blame it all on you

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
knivesout

knivesout

Reaction score
Yeah, I will for sure SBF before Verizon sees my phone, I'm just wondering about other peoples experience with the autofocus issue and if anyone knows what they replace the D2 with since they don't technically sell it anymore.
I'm assuming D2G, but would rather not get one since of lack of customization. I'm aware you can use most D2 ROMs on D2G but I'm not crazy about the idea of losing sensors..

warped1987

Reaction score
Oh, i'm on a D2G, I wasn't aware it was less customizeable, I always assumed it was basically exactly the same as the D2 but you can use this one in any country. And my Verizon still sells the D2 in store, probably oonline too, so im assuming they would just order you up a new one. Well I hope you find a fix for your camera. Did you try switching to Macro Mode, focusing and then switching back to AF? Might be worth a try

OP
knivesout

knivesout

Reaction score
Yep I tried switching the focusing modes and nothing :(
I suppose the D2G is just as customizable as the D2, the only issue being the sensors. I just think it would be irritating to lose the ability to tilt the phone and have it switch portrait/landscape.

Edit:
Also tried installing the regular blur camera to no avail..

Last edited:

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my D2 and i was running Liberty rom on my D2. I tried the asop camera, blur camera, switching focus modes, factory data reset, using barcode scanners to see if i could get it to work, and even going from liberty v1.5 back to liberty v1.0. After doing all that with no success i flashed back to stock to see if that would work and i still couldnt even scan a barcode. So after all that i took it back to VZW and the manager at the store actually helped me since there was no one at the customer service desk which kinda made me nervous as to if i would get a replacement or not. It turned out after i gave him the phone and gave him a min to play with the phone he asked me if i had a barcode scanner and i was like yea i got an app for that. After i pulled it up he tried to scan a barcode and it wouldnt work for him either. So he took 2 pics to see if they were blurry i guess. After the Barcode scanner wouldnt work and the pics came out blurry he overnighted me a replacement which was at the house by 1pm the next day. Hope this can help

warped1987

Reaction score
D2G Does tilt to Portrait to Landscape...you've got me so lost, lol. And with ADW Launcher I could ever tilt it to Landscape both ways tilting my phone, only thing it didn't do was display when you tilt it upside down, lol

OP
knivesout

knivesout

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my D2 and i was running Liberty rom on my D2. I tried the asop camera, blur camera, switching focus modes, factory data reset, using barcode scanners to see if i could get it to work, and even going from liberty v1.5 back to liberty v1.0. After doing all that with no success i flashed back to stock to see if that would work and i still couldnt even scan a barcode. So after all that i took it back to VZW and the manager at the store actually helped me since there was no one at the customer service desk which kinda made me nervous as to if i would get a replacement or not. It turned out after i gave him the phone and gave him a min to play with the phone he asked me if i had a barcode scanner and i was like yea i got an app for that. After i pulled it up he tried to scan a barcode and it wouldnt work for him either. So he took 2 pics to see if they were blurry i guess. After the Barcode scanner wouldnt work and the pics came out blurry he overnighted me a replacement which was at the house by 1pm the next day. Hope this can help
Thanks man, that is helpful. When you got your replacement, were they still selling the regular D2? I've tried all the things you mentioned except for going back to Liberty 1.0. The Barcode Scanner will work because the camera is stuck at the minimum focusing distance, so if the cam is 6-8 inches from the barcode, it will pick it up. It's fine for macro shots but anything farther than ~6 inches is out of focus.

Warped1987, I was talking about flashing custom ROMs on to the D2G. Apparently it will work but you lose the functionality of the sensors.

warped1987

Reaction score
Oh, gotcha. I will keep that in mind if I decide to learn about ROMS and get one for my phone

OP
knivesout

knivesout

Reaction score
Well, I'm doing an SBF so I can take the phone into Verizon. I guess we'll see what happens.

OP
knivesout

knivesout

Reaction score
Thanks! The result is: Verizon is overnighting a replacement.

warped1987

Reaction score
Don't expect to get it until probably Tuesday. We just went in to replace my boyfriends phone and they said" overnight" but he didn't get it for about a week cuz they are stupid and so is fed-ex

OP
knivesout

knivesout

Reaction score
Oh yeah? Well crap I was hoping they'd use USPS since they deliver on weekends. Oh well, I'm happy they're replacing it since they didn't technically have to because I got the phone from a friend, not directly from them.

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea VZW has a pretty good stock of D2's left or from what I have heard and read. You def shouldn't get a D2G

Sent from my Liberated D2