Customize ringtones by contact?

MotoHack

Reaction score
Is there any app available that lets me have more control over alerts & ringtones? I'd like the ability to assign different ringtones to different contacts, and though likely unrelated and impossible, change the alert notification for the Weather Channel widget, and have different alert sounds for different events that occur on the phone (I.E. Google Voice, GMail, USB Connected, etc...)

I find it hard to believe an app like this wouldn't exist, but I've been unable to find one thus far...

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is there any app available that lets me have more control over alerts & ringtones? I'd like the ability to assign different ringtones to different contacts, and though likely unrelated and impossible, change the alert notification for the Weather Channel widget, and have different alert sounds for different events that occur on the phone (I.E. Google Voice, GMail, USB Connected, etc...)

I find it hard to believe an app like this wouldn't exist, but I've been unable to find one thus far...

No app needed to have a different ringtone for different contacts.

Go to the contact list, click on a contact, hit the menu button, select options and then set the ringtone for that contact.

Handcent, Missed call, Not Call Log (avoids random outgoing call issue I was having) are what I use for phone/messaging tools. There's notifications for incoming text messages within Handcent.

OP
M

MotoHack

Reaction score
Thank you - that explains why I couldn't find an app for it. Now if only there was a way to customize alerts by notification type...

tammy7287

Reaction score
Thank you - that explains why I couldn't find an app for it. Now if only there was a way to customize alerts by notification type...

I'd like to know if there's a way to customize the alerts by notification type as well. Anyone know how?

BuckeyeHD

Reaction score
You can customize ringtones for the different notifications from the settings menu of most apps (Mail, SMS etc.). Be aware that some apps only look in certain places for their "tones". By that I mean some look in "alerts", some look in "notifications" and some look in "ringtones". I found I get the most flexibility by creating those three folders under a "media" folder in my SD card and copying "sounds" I like to all three. Then I can pick whatever I like from whatever folder the app looks in. If you want to customize LED colors etc try Missed Call app.

artc33

Reaction score
if download zedge ringtones you will get a lot of really cool ones, also get handcent text messaging. you can actually set diferent notification sounds for every contact.

nubiandroid

Reaction score
When I go to my contact and hit menu I don't see an option for ringtones, can someone help me out ?