Crackling/Sizzling in Earpiece

gclo85

Reaction score
Just got a new DROID Razr yesterday. I've been very pleased with everything except for the earpiece. Most of the time, when I'm talking to someone on the phone, I will hear sizzling or hiss sounds in my earpiece like it's some kind of minor interference. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this or should I take it back to get a replacement?

FernBch

Reaction score
Warranty replacement. Motorola has had issues with some devices showing ear piece issues. It should not crackle. One of ny friends just got a Razr a couple days ago and it is crystal clear.

Sent from my MB855 using DroidForums

OP
gclo85

gclo85

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm just getting sick of returning "new" phones. Since last Friday, I've returned an iPhone 4, two DROID Bionics, and possibly this. :wacko:

OP
gclo85

gclo85

Reaction score
I returned the Razr I had yesterday and got a new one. It still did the sizzling and hissing in the earpiece while on call. However, I think, AND HOPE, I found a solution. I grabbed my Droid X to look at the settings and see if I can compare anything different to my Razr. I noticed that under sound settings, media audio effects that wired stereo devices had disabled audio effects and phone speaker had disabled audio effects. Since my X was always crystal clear on calls, I decided to disable those options on my RAZR. After disabling them, my Razr is working the same as my X. I don't hear the static or anything. It doesn't seem logical though because what do those options have to do with the earpiece?

pinoy_92

Reaction score
this is probably a s2pid question, but are you using a bluetooth headset?

OP
gclo85

gclo85

Reaction score
An update on my Razr; I thought I had it fixed but it's crackling again. The weird part is that when I'm at my parents house in a town 40 miles west of Penn State, I don't hear crackling. It's crystal clear and this town still has 3G. But whenever I'm in the State College area, where we have 4G and my work is a 3G area, it crackles. I don't get it?

TheOMB

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure crackling/interference is caused by 4G. I just did a long drive through many areas and tested. I live in a non 4 G area and had never heard crackling, till was in a 4G area. Turning 4G off for me stopped the crackling while I was driving.

Try turning 4G off and see what happens, I'm curious to see if that fixes it for you or anyone else.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
gclo85

gclo85

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion but I actually returned the Razr and got my upgrade back. I'm going to wait until the Razr MAXX goes down to $199. But I will definitely try and turn off 4G if I have that static again.