Couple quick questions on DX2

Chubbydog

Reaction score
I'm coming from the Samsung Fascinate, because I just couldn't handle not getting my calls half the time. The rep told me she would let me change phones, but I didn't have much time to research as I had to make a decision while I had her on the phone. She said I could choose between the DX2, and the HTC Inc. 2. I went with the Motorolla, because I had the D1, and had pretty good luck with it.

Question1- Does the DX2 come with swype for texting preloaded, or do I have to download it from the website again? Also, can I forward picture texts to groups of people?
I've been reading some of the problems people are having with this phone, and this is just to hold me over till the Bionic, or the SGII comes out. She didn't make me use my upgrade, so I just need something that I can receive a call on, and IM. At least for the next few months or so.

One more thing, is there a light notifacation telling you that you missed a call, or a text? My phone will be here tomorrow, and I was just wondering what to expect.

Thanks!

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I'm coming from the Samsung Fascinate, because I just couldn't handle not getting my calls half the time. The rep told me she would let me change phones, but I didn't have much time to research as I had to make a decision while I had her on the phone. She said I could choose between the DX2, and the HTC Inc. 2. I went with the Motorolla, because I had the D1, and had pretty good luck with it.

Question1- Does the DX2 come with swype for texting preloaded, or do I have to download it from the website again? Also, can I forward picture texts to groups of people?
I've been reading some of the problems people are having with this phone, and this is just to hold me over till the Bionic, or the SGII comes out. She didn't make me use my upgrade, so I just need something that I can receive a call on, and IM. At least for the next few months or so.

One more thing, is there a light notifacation telling you that you missed a call, or a text? My phone will be here tomorrow, and I was just wondering what to expect.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the X2 community. I hope that you are impressed by what the X2 has to offer you. Firstly, I'd like to touch on the idea about your upgrade. If you aren't in a 4G area, perhaps you should stick to your X2 until a superior device is released. If you do have 4G access, I completely understand your decision.

Swype software is includes by default.
Yes you can forward and send picture messages to a group of people (multiple contacts at once).
Yes, there is a notification light that will notify you of multiple events. There are also apps that are available to allow you to further customize this.
As for reported problems with the X2, you only hear about the bad things on the forums usually. Its a really good phone. Signal is awesome, speed is great, it just has a few minor problems that will be fixed in the upcoming gingerbread update.

Thanks, hope this answers your questions.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

OP
C

Chubbydog

Reaction score
Thanks C21, I appreciate that. I don't have 4G in my area yet, and that's why I didn't wanna use my upgrade. I've been eligible for my upgrade for about 4 months now, but was waiting for a phone that I really wanted to come out before I signed a new 2 year agreement. If this phone pans out ok, I may end up keeping it for a while.
My GPS would hardly ever work on my Samsung either. How does that work on the DX2? It worked awesome on the D1, but can never pick up my location anymore.
This phone sounds like it has allot of the features that I was hoping for. My buddy has the DX1, and I played with it for a few minutes. It seemed like a pretty good phone. Do you feel the X2 does everything the X1 does?

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks C21, I appreciate that. I don't have 4G in my area yet, and that's why I didn't wanna use my upgrade. I've been eligible for my upgrade for about 4 months now, but was waiting for a phone that I really wanted to come out before I signed a new 2 year agreement. If this phone pans out ok, I may end up keeping it for a while.
My GPS would hardly ever work on my Samsung either. How does that work on the DX2? It worked awesome on the D1, but can never pick up my location anymore.
This phone sounds like it has allot of the features that I was hoping for. My buddy has the DX1, and I played with it for a few minutes. It seemed like a pretty good phone. Do you feel the X2 does everything the X1 does?

You're very welcome. I am in the same situation as you concerning the 4G. The speeds are blazing fast from what I've tested, and its definitely the way to go given you have the service.
The GPS works great. Locks on almost immediately (and I live in the boondocks). Even when there is cloud cover, I usually obtain a rather stable connection.
The phone has a lot of features... but some may argue that it has too many. Which occasionally bogs down the phone. But with a few minor mods, its not a problem.
If your friend had a highly modified X, you may be slightly disappointed by the X2. The X has recently received a lot of custom modification that makes it a great phone. But out of the box, the X2 will blow almost every other phone out of the water. Which leads me to believe that when we get deep into development on this device, it will definitely be one of the best.

OP
C

Chubbydog

Reaction score
I have never had an x1 but I can vouch for my navigation and gps working flawlessly. Every time I drive somewhere im not sure of its there and has been right on the money.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

That's a relief. I use my GPS allot, and was getting sick of using the older garmin. It's nice just being able to just use your phone for that.

Allot of the reviews are saying the music player skips allot. Is this true? I don't use mine much, as I use my i-pod for music in my truck. The only time I really use it, is when I'm jogging, or just too lazy to get my i-pod out. My buddies DX1 was brand new. I'm pretty sure he hadn't done anything to it at that time.

Also, how is the signal strength on this phone? My old D1 got way more bars than the Samsung. I'm hoping to get my signal strength back again.

magman

Reaction score
love my x2 i just came from the d1 so this is a huge upgrade and i get better signal then any other phone that has been at my house i to live in the boonies aka middle of nowhere lol and like stated you are only going to hear about the bad things for the most part think of it like this how many ppl out there have a prob with something and go to a forum to get help and voice there problem.

now how many ppl are very happy with the phone and just leave it at that without going to the forum just to say they like it lol.

gps is great btw way faster then the d1 and this thing plays games like a dream very good battery life with just the battery charge that came with the phone when i got it( about 70% ) i was able to go all day ( got my phone a lil before 11:30 am ) without charging it till 11pm when it was at 20% and i rotted the phone and did the supercharger script and was playing galaxy on fire 2 for about 2 hours and doing alot of vids over 3g i was very impressed.
and some guy on here i forget his name( lol had to make a jab at you c21 :p ) just made a rom for the x2 that gets rid of alot of the bloat and things that drain ur battery ppl seem to be loving it so far im going to install it soon myself.

if there is anything else u would like to know just ask :D
cya :D

OP
C

Chubbydog

Reaction score
Thanks guys! It's nice reading about some of the positive thing's about a phone. I was a little worried last night after I ordered it, but I'm starting to get excited now. Do these phones have the Gorilla glass on them also, so I won't need a screen protector?

C21johnson

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks guys! It's nice reading about some of the positive thing's about a phone. I was a little worried last night after I ordered it, but I'm starting to get excited now. Do these phones have the Gorilla glass on them also, so I won't need a screen protector?

Don't get me wrong, I've been through a few X2s through the certified like new program due to some of the common problems. But none-the-less, it is still the best phone I have owned.

Yes, it has gorilla glass which means no need for a screen protector. But if you are rough on your phones, such as I am, then I recommend a case. I use the X1 otterbox defender.

densetsu86

Reaction score
Yes the stock play skips and overall freeze on a song and the only way to get it working again is to go to another track or you'll be waiting in silence. I really don't like the stock player of this device its really basic and pathetic. My env touch music player blows this one out of the water. And the env touch is a feature phone one would think a smart phone app would be better but its not. I do have another music app which i don't use cause my free period is up and while i like it is not.worth money as again its notas good as the env touch. I will only pay for a music app that is better then the env's. But for vides this sucker is flawless. Just get moboplayer and the codec pack for it and you will not have any issues up to resolution of 848x480 which is 480p any thing larher then that depends on the video. I had star trek 4 the voyage home bdrip thats 720p and played great but yet when i try to watch a 720p anime it just can't do it. Its most likely due to a different profile.and the bitrate being to high for the phone to handle. But thats only for 720p. Moboplayer is great and free. Highly recommended. But with super charge and noop i still get skips but i will tell you it happens rarely with super charger and noop. Meaning i have 86 song on one playlist and maybe 2 or 3 sings freezes. I don't get pops just complete freezes meaning the media play just stops reading the file yet the song timer keeps going and no amount of.pauses and plays fixes it, you need to go to a new song and then go back to the other own and play it and it will.work fine. I do however get skips if im browsing some internet sites with the player on but its usually like only sites that 3g has trouble loading which make the phone use resource which makes the song skips and android forums app makes it skip. Hell yesterday i was typing a long post and 4 songs crashed but it was also the first time it tried to play a different song on its own from a song crash. And so far that was a one time issue has happened yet since.

But overall im extremely happy with this phone. My first smart phone and while i do have some pep peeves with it, still way better then the env touch but i do wish though if someone could make an app that was 100% rip off of env touch's. The env's rivaled some of my stand alone mp3 players. And i do miss the dolbe chipset that was in it. Clear on high bass that the x2 just can't touch.

Over all the dx2 is great but not perfect. Much better then my old phone overall i just wish it had the music capabilities as env touch.

Just root your phone run supercharger and noop and and get moboplayer (which does not require root) and any video file formate you through at it, it should play it fine unless its a h264 mkv anime then good luck. But 848x480 h264 mkv files play just fine no issues what so ever other then that will drain your battery. Usually. Xvid and. Avi files drains abiut 5-10% per 30mins but h264 and mkv will drain it by 30% per30 mins.
Hope you will enjoy it i love it but i also love to hate it at times lol i live in a verizon deadzone. 2 verizon cell towers with in a 1-1 1/2 mile radius and for best use you should be near a cell tower of 2 miles a away. Yet i fight to have 3g and 2 bars of signal. But there are rare times when i have 4 bars but thats only cause im not using those functions once i hit submit i will most likely loose 3g and when i want to make a call i will fall to 1-2 bars but that being said i have not dropped or missed a call from signal issues.

And my uncle who is also with verizon on a feature phone also has the same issues i suspect its cause of a rival companies cell tower that is literally 100-500 feat away that is causing interference.

But overall great phone. Could be better yes but it still is much better then my env which had a crap load of huge problems.
Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
The X2 is a great phone that does a lot of things extremely well. I had some relatively minor problems that once Verizon and I got on the same page were solved.
As with many folks on here, I have had most phones and with that comes developed likes and dislikes - the Droid X2 is a great phone.
I too was upgraded due to problems and did not have to use my scheduled upgrade of which I still maintain.
I like the form and function of the X2 so much, it may be awhile before I pull the trigger on the next phone and I do live in a 4G area as of recent.
The Navigation is amazing, my Garmin is now just a backup device.
Music plays, calls go thru, all is good. I left mine pretty bone stock because I am enjoying my current speed and fluidity w/o problems of any kind.
So, enjoy and know there is no rush until something really noticeably better comes along.