Couple K-9 Email questions

bigtmonee

Reaction score
I was looking for a 3rd party email app since the default one doesnt allow you to "delete all" or "select all". I downloaded K-9 email last night to try it out, so here are my questions...

1. You are able to "empty trash" once messages have been deleted from your inbox, but theres still no way to delete all from your inbox to begin with?

2. It seems that you cannot use a hotmail account. Why does the default email app work with hotmail but not k-9 email?

Thanks again for the help!

JayMonster

Reaction score
The K-9 is a (less buggy) version of the standard e-mail app. I say because it prefaces my answers of your questions.

1. It is based on the same code base as the standard app, and hasn't added (just fixed) functionality. Thus, multiple items selctions (and multiple deletions) continue to be missing, though personally I have never understood why anybody would want to delete their entire inbox... but multiple ask for this, so I guess I am an oddball in this sense.

2. There is no reason that you shouldn't be able to connect to hotmail with one and not the other. (I personally use my live.com account through K-9, so I know there is no problem with it to that extent).

OP
B

bigtmonee

Reaction score
The K-9 is a (less buggy) version of the standard e-mail app. I say because it prefaces my answers of your questions.

1. It is based on the same code base as the standard app, and hasn't added (just fixed) functionality. Thus, multiple items selctions (and multiple deletions) continue to be missing, though personally I have never understood why anybody would want to delete their entire inbox... but multiple ask for this, so I guess I am an oddball in this sense.

2. There is no reason that you shouldn't be able to connect to hotmail with one and not the other. (I personally use my live.com account through K-9, so I know there is no problem with it to that extent).

Ok thanks. And I think the problem occurs when I try to check for new messages. Everytime I do that on my hotmail account I get a message that says something like "error, you can only log in once every 15 minutes". You dont get that problem?

Also does anyone know what "folder poll check frequency" means? I thought it just meant to check for new messages, but why is it set to never by default?

JayMonster

Reaction score

Ok thanks. And I think the problem occurs when I try to check for new messages. Everytime I do that on my hotmail account I get a message that says something like "error, you can only log in once every 15 minutes". You dont get that problem?

Also does anyone know what "folder poll check frequency" means? I thought it just meant to check for new messages, but why is it set to never by default?

My Hotmail account is not my "main" e-mail, so I only have it set to check every hour. (So I never noticed this because it doesn't affect me)

You can set folders into *classes* and will poll the folders differently (this way sub folders can be polled less frequently), thus they set everything to never until you set it otherwise. (as I understand it anyway).

OP
B

bigtmonee

Reaction score
I guess I'm not quite sure what the word "poll" is being used for.

And I am still getting errors, gonna have to uninstall :(

Last edited:

JayMonster

Reaction score
POLL - When one computer, device, or program asks for an answer to a query from another computer or device over a period of time until a condition is met.

In other words it checks for "changes" (new arrivals) in a folder after a predetermined period of time. (In simpler terms, it is when it checks for new mail items in a folder)

OP
B

bigtmonee

Reaction score
Ahh Ok, unfortunately I was not able to get k-9 to work. But thank you for your help!

famac!

Reaction score
I used K-9 with one hotmail account. It was as buggy as the default email app.