Could my SD card cause my phone to lock up?

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I'm running SS4.9 and only recently have I been experiencing issues with my phone locking up while booting into the OS. Initially I didn't have issues with my phone locking up while booting into SS4.9.

It almost seems sort of routine, like the OS gets to a certain point and then either slows down and briefly locks up before getting past the hiccup or permanently locks up. More often than not the brief lock up results in a permanent lock up until I pull the battery.

Once the OS fully loads up, everything runs fine including the SD card if I mount it to the computer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jcwilliams

Reaction score
what do you mean by lock up? im having some force close issues with launcher pro and my icons not showing up and i have noticed that the icons that are messed up at boot are the ones on my sdcard. maybe i have a messed up sd card as well? after the fc they show up. its like the phone cant find them and launcher pro freaks out then fc by that time they are found....idk

les017

Reaction score
Just saw this thread and had been experiencing the exact same thing. Sometimes it boots fine, sometimes it would boot fine to a point and then pause for some time before finishing, other times it would freeze until I did a battery pull and rolled the dice agat. I start to troubleshoot by moving apps from SD to internal, especially those that I had moved to SD via Titanium Backup. Doing this seemed to make things better, sometimes.

After one boot I just happened to go to the app drawer right after boot but before the phone paused and I luckily noticed that all of my apps were present EXCEPT Documents to Go. Yet the Documents to go license key file was there. About 10 seconds later the documents to go app showed up and everything was fine. Now keep in mind that docs to go supports SD card natively.

So I moved documents to go back to interninternal memory and have not had this issue since.
Initially I had thought that my issues were more related to apps on SD that were trying to sync after boot. But at least in my case it seems that the documents to go app being on SD and it's license file being on internal was the issue. I have since found that having both files in the same area makes all the difference, although it still boots better when both are stored on internal.

I have since gone back and moved many files back to SD, even those that don't support it natively. No boot problems in the past 2 weeks. I guess docs to go looks for its license file immediately upon boot up. About 3 months ago I had a similar issue when I moved Weather Bug over to SD. I guess my advice would be to scrutinize each app that you have on SD and try to isolate the offender (s) one by one. Rooted droid 1 running Launcher Pro

Last edited:
OP
L

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I've discovered a work around about two weeks ago, but I was just wondering why it's happening. It doesn't matter what 3rd party launcher I'm running, I get the same symptoms. Removing apps from the SD card and putting them back into the internal memory didn't help at all. So I put them back on the SD card.

My solution for now is when your phone gets to the lock screen, hold the power button and activate the airplane mode. I noticed that when my phone is actively sending and receiving data while reading the memory card that is when the phone locks up, so I turn off the data connection until the SD card reading notification goes away. Since I've started doing this, I haven't had one lock up and the phone boots faster.

OP
L

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I guess my advice would be to scrutinize each app that you have on SD and try to isolate the offender (s) one by one. Rooted droid 1 running Launcher Pro

Since I've been having this issue I went and moved all my recent apps that I had moved on to the SD card back into the internal memory. I figured any apps that have been stored on my memory card for a long time wouldn't be the culprit. But maybe one of the apps is the problem that could have come about since an update to the offending app. Looks like I may have to go in and take every application off my SD card and see if that fixes the problem and then put them back on 2 to 3 apps at a time with a reboot of the phone in between to see when the phone starts locking up.

OP
L

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
If you guys are willing, I think we may be able to help each other narrow down the list by listing the apps that we currently have on the SD card while experiencing lockup issues during boot up.

I'll start....
Adobe Reader
Angry Birds
Aquarium Free
Best Buy
Bump
Fireworks Live Wallpaper
Galactic Core Free
Google Sky Map
Movies
Nesoid
Phit Droid
Places Directory
ShootMe
Skyfire
SNesoid
StopWatch & Timer
Tip Calc
Word Search

jcwilliams

Reaction score
on my sdcard i have....
acar
adfree
adobe flash
adobe reader
ajailbreak
alogcat
amazon
androsnake
andrzip
angrybirds
astro
autozone
barcode scanner
bills reminder
chase
datpiff
docs to go
drocap
ebay
facebook
keyring
maps
verizon
rom manager and key
swype installer
tunee
youtube
zedge

that almost all the apps on my phone...

OP
L

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
^^^^The apps that I see we have in common thus far on the SD car is adobe reader and angry birds. I'll start with those two apps and put them back into my internal memory to see if my phone still locks up when booting.

jcwilliams

Reaction score
Ok that's works I havnt not had time to mess with it yet but I will do the same let me know...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App