Could Flip Phones Return as Rollable Devices?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flexible-Rollable-OLED.jpg

Flip phones might make a resurgence, but not in the way you might think. According to the latest reports from the folks at LG, they have made some great strides with their flexible OLED display tech research. The above pic is an 18-inch version of this technology and shows just how far they have come. This screen has a resolution of 1200x810 with almost 1 million pixels, and it can be rolled up into a toilet paper style cylinder that’s only 3cm in radius.

Sadly, at first, this tech will hit TVs, and it could be a while before they are able to bring it to our mobile devices. There are simply some more technical hurdles they must clear to effectively "miniaturize" the display and allow room for the necessary modules required for a functioning device.

Despite this, the fact that they have made this current version possible shows their commitment to making it happen. Who knows, maybe in a few years, the next big market defining paradigm shift will move back to rollable "flip" phones...

We will just need to be more careful about where we leave these devices. It will be easier to "lose" them in the laundry! :eek:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Somehow I just don't think rolling up your phone will give that same satisfaction as a good Jethro Gibbs slamming shut of a G zone flip phone. Yes a really neat and great feature to have but when the world is in idiot mode nothing satisfies that end of the call from hades like a good clunk of a flip phone

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I concur mbm! That and I've never felt the need to roll up my phone into a toilet paper style cylinder. LOL But it IS cool to see how far technology is advancing. I'm still looking forward to Minority Report style computers.

tap'n on my S5

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Somehow I just don't think rolling up your phone will give that same satisfaction as a good Jethro Gibbs slamming shut of a G zone flip phone. Yes a really neat and great feature to have but when the world is in idiot mode nothing satisfies that end of the call from hades like a good clunk of a flip phone

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
Agreed.

+1 for NCIS ref.

I am the perfect DiNozzo. I just need a Gibbs for smacks to the head!!!

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Well a screen that can roll can be held within a hard shell, think your current phone with an additional screen that can be pulled out the side of the device.

This is where flexible screens can shine.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
NOW IMAGINE: You roll the screen out, flexible and all. Once in position, the screen locks in to a hard state.