Costco Deal Available Online????

SigSoldat

Reaction score
There is a thread, not sure if it's here or another forum of those that got the dock direct from verizon vs those that got it direct from Motorola. The Motorola one has a micro usb/aux dual head cable. micro usb goes into cradle and other end goes to charger and also Aux connection in car.

You misunderstand. The package they are buying (for nearly $60, I might add) includes a basic audio cable. It is completely separate from the car charger cable. Check it out here: Motorola Droid Bionic Car Vehicle Navigation Dock

The car charger plugs into the car dock or directly into the micro-USB and is for charging only. The audio cable is a separate cable that connects from the headphone jack of your Bionic (or the headphone jack of any device) and then into the "Aux In" jack on your car stereo (if equipped). You can buy the same audio cable at Walmart or Ebay for $1 - $3.

lanza_david

Reaction score
You misunderstand. The package they are buying (for nearly $60, I might add) includes a basic audio cable. It is completely separate from the car charger cable. Check it out here: Motorola Droid Bionic Car Vehicle Navigation Dock

The car charger plugs into the car dock or directly into the micro-USB and is for charging only. The audio cable is a separate cable that connects from the headphone jack of your Bionic (or the headphone jack of any device) and then into the "Aux In" jack on your car stereo (if equipped). You can buy the same audio cable at Walmart or Ebay for $1 - $3.

Yes. But it also comes with a micro usb/aux dual cable. Look closely at the picture on the lower right. Then you plug the cable you mention to the back of the dock, and plug the regular audio cable to it and to the car. This way, when you insert the phone in the doc, you do not have to deal with cables. Apparently, this dual cable is not available for purchase amywhere.

zetachi

Reaction score
Check the pic somsone posted earlier in the thread. It splits the USB out to an audio jack to run to your AUX IN port, so you don't have to plug it into the phone's headphone jack. It all feeds through the USB plug, which stays connected to the dock all the time.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...omeone-explain-car-dock-me-3.html#post1739021

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/at...plain-car-dock-me-2011-09-14_10-53-42_420.jpg

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...omeone-explain-car-dock-me-4.html#post1741022

In using the Bionic "Vehicle Navigation Dock" sourced from Verizon Wireless (MOTBIOMNT), I'm frustrated to find that Motorola engineers apparently sacrificed USB data transfer functionality for an incomplete analog audio "integration". They then failed to provide the custom Y-cable needed to eliminate the separate 3.5mm audio jumper as the design intended! Come on Motorola! Come on Verizon! What were you thinking? (What's up Dock?)
-
On the back of the dock is a micro-USB-B female connector to which users must connect their own USB cable. The Y-cable referenced in the instruction manual is NOT included in the Verizon MOTBIOMNT kit contents. Only a stereo audio jumper (3.5mm) is provided with Verizon's kit. The custom cable is apparently available as an "Online Bonus" when purchased directly from Motorola here: http://www.store.motorola.com/Vehicle-Navigation-DROID-Bionic-trade/dp/B005C31G1W?ie=UTF8&id=Vehicle Navigation DROID Bionic trade
-
To add insult, Motorola has interrupted USB data passthru on the dock. Power will pass, but data will not. This means if you were planning to perform laptop-related functions in your car, such as USB tethering or SD card mounting, you won't be doing that with this Motorola Vehicle Dock! Note that USB connections are easily done using all prior D1 or DX dock systems. Why Motorola chose to change strategy isn't clear to me.
-
Of course, the OEM dock physically holds the Bionic with tight precision we've come to expect from products bearing Motorola's logo (and extortionate price.) Dock solutions from 3rd-parties seldom fit as smoothly. But unlike past Droids, like the D1 and DX that could be easily triggered into dock mode with a simple magnet, the Bionic instead looks for custom connector pinning (or circuitry?) from the dock itself. This means that you won't get your Bionic to gracefully adopt landscape/dock display in a 3rd-party cradle without some makeshift circuit or additional software/widget. These never work quite as well as OEM solutions in my experience. I'm hoping that someone can recommend an alternate Bionic vehicle dock that DOES support USB data connectivity.
-
You can see the MOTBIOMNT custom Y-cable referenced on page 3 here:
http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/...t/US-EN/Mobile Phones/Droid_Bionic/Documents/StaticFiles/Droid-Bionic_vehicle-Navigation-Dock_EN_ES_GSG_68016045001B.pdf

he "Y" cable is ordered from Verizon. It is an additional $19 and the SKU# is MICAUXCAB. You will need to order it because they come straight from the warehouse, 30 minutes on the phone between moto and verizon......your welcome

SigSoldat

Reaction score
Yes. But it also comes with a micro usb/aux dual cable. Look closely at the picture on the lower right. Then you plug the cable you mention to the back of the dock, and plug the regular audio cable to it and to the car. This way, when you insert the phone in the doc, you do not have to deal with cables. Apparently, this dual cable is not available for purchase amywhere.

My bad! I didn't catch that part. I also notice the car charger has a second USB port so it can charge two USB devices at a time. Still, I don't think that justifies the price increase.

snakeyes

Reaction score
Add me to the list of people who got the bundle and had a bad (retired) sim card. Im not upset because i knew about the possibility of it before hand. I will head to a corporate store on lunch and get the sim replaced. I will say you do get a ton of stuff for your $279 lol and actually when i went to check on my order i saw the bundle is now $289 so i got in just in time.

whiddles

Reaction score
man mine was fine it worked great from costco and no problems yet its been 3 weeks

lanza_david

Reaction score
Mine also had issues activating. When I got it I called Costco and they said it was a bad sim. I went to the VZW store and they took a while and struggled to activate it. They said costco did something wrong when they activated it. Some issue with the MEID or something. I then called costco and they acknowledged the issue and said they were trying to figure out what the problem was. Weird.

I am having issues with my bionic. It is freezing. Restarting. It freezes when using my bluetooh earpiece. I am going to get it exchanged. The great thing about costco is that if you have issues, you can keep exchanging for 90 days. Even for another phone, and at the upgrade price. Pretty cool.

Last edited:

snakeyes

Reaction score
Well my issue was solved pretty easily after waiting 45min for my turn they swapped my card in 10 minutes and all was activated. Loving it so far.