Copy and Paste

PARick

Reaction score
How can I copy and paste text from an email? I use K9. Any help appreciated.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

It can be done but it's kind of hard. I don't know if K9 will help you at all but what you got to do is long press on the part of the email you want to copy then use your finger to highlight the text you want copied. Then you select menu button and copy.

It's not easy to do and pretty much a flaw I think in Droids. Copying in other areas is not difficult at all.

OP
PARick

PARick

Reaction score

It can be done but it's kind of hard. I don't know if K9 will help you at all but what you got to do is long press on the part of the email you want to copy then use your finger to highlight the text you want copied. Then you select menu button and copy.

It's not easy to do and pretty much a flaw I think in Droids. Copying in other areas is not difficult at all.

Thanks Hook. That did not do it though. I do appreciate the help!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Thanks Hook. That did not do it though. I do appreciate the help!

It didn't? No it sure didn't. Motorola Droid: Cut, Copy and Paste Text

I couldn't get it to work either.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I looked everywhere and apparently cut and paste is not an option in email. Sorry, I could have sworn I tried it before and it worked. I remember it was difficult to do. I wonder if I was thinking of my old Blackberry Storm?

OP
PARick

PARick

Reaction score
Thanks. That is definately a feature my old BB Bold had that I used.

AZDroid09

Reaction score
In email, try this, open the keyboard, hold the shift key and then touch and drag to highlight the text you want to copy. When you lift your finger off the screen the highlighted text will be copied to your clipboard.

stanrc

Reaction score
I think you can hit reply, then scroll down to the "quoted text" and you should be able to select and copy text from there.

OP
PARick

PARick

Reaction score
I will give both a try. Thanks!

ballaholyk84

Reaction score
In email, try this, open the keyboard, hold the shift key and then touch and drag to highlight the text you want to copy. When you lift your finger off the screen the highlighted text will be copied to your clipboard.

Works amazingly! Thanks for the help here. I like the little cursor that shows up haha.

stevehy

Reaction score
In K9 both reply and forward allow you to select and copy text. Not so in native email. One more reason I love K9.:)

OP
PARick

PARick

Reaction score
Both work. Thanks for your help!

Malo

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am a new user of an Android phone. I received my Droid 2 :motdroidhoriz: yesterday. I have been a Blackberry user for 3 years now. I apologize if this is the wrong section for this request.

I have a question if anyone can either help or point me in the right direction. I would appreciate any assistance.

I use Yahoo mail(I assume any other mail app would give me the same issue). I communicate with people internationally and use Google Translator for times when I get stuck with a word. On my previous Blackberry's I was able to copy words from an email and paste into the translator for help. So today I get a message. And tried to go my normal steps of translating. But here is my problem. I can not figure out how to highlight and copy info within emails to paste into the translator.

I am sure there is something I am overlooking or just being blind to seeing to make this happen.

Thank you for your time and any help.

Malo

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
there is a copyy and paste app that you can use to copy anything and paste it anywhere. Its in the market and looks like a paper on a clipboard. Its a good app.

Skyranger

Reaction score
Android basics 34
AUG-2.2.0-100 Android User’s Guide
Editing text
You can edit the text you enter in text fields and use menu commands to cut, copy, and
paste text, within or across applications. Some applications don’t support editing
some or all of the text they display; others may offer their own way to select text you
want to work with.
To edit text
1 Touch the text field that contains the text to edit.
2 Use the Trackball to move the cursor to the location where you want to add or
delete text.
The cursor is a vertical bar that indicates where text you type or paste will be
inserted.
3 Type, cut, paste, or delete text.
4 Press the Back button when you’re finished typing, to close the keyboard.
You may also have a Next or Done button on the keyboard, depending on the
application and text field you’re typing in.
To select text
You select text that you want to cut or copy. Selected text is highlighted in orange.
1 Touch the text field or other portion of the screen that contains the text to select.
2 Use the Trackball to move the cursor to the beginning or end of the text to select.
You can also touch in the text field to move the cursor in text.
3 Press & hold the Trackball, or touch & hold the text field.
A menu opens with options for cutting, copying, and performing other tasks with
the text field.
4 Touch Select text.
Or touch Select all to select all the text in the text field.
5 Roll the Trackball to select the text you want.
6 Press & hold the Trackball again (or touch & hold the text field) to open a menu
you can use to cut or copy your selection, select all the text, or stop selecting text.

Android basics 35
AUG-2.2.0-100 Android User’s Guide
To cut or copy text
1 Select the text to cut or copy.
2 Press & hold the Trackball, or touch & hold the selected text.
3 Touch Cut or Copy in the menu that opens.
If you touch Cut, the selected text is removed from the text field. In either case, the
text is stored in a temporary area on the phone, so that you can paste it into
another text field.
To paste text
1 Copy the text to paste.
2 Touch the text field where you want to paste the text.
You can paste text that you copied from one application into a text field in any
application.
3 Use the Trackball to move the cursor to the location where you want to paste the
text.
4 Press & hold the Trackball, or touch & hold the text field.
5 Touch Paste in the menu that opens.
The text is inserted at the cursor. The text that you pasted also remains in a
temporary area on the phone, so you can paste that same text in another location.