Contacts won't search for "dr."

lalala11

Reaction score
Weird pattern in my contacts list that's been there since I got the phone a year ago. I have my doctors listed as Dr. Axxx, Dr. Bxxx, and so on. However, when I type Dr. (or dr., or dr, or d) into the contacts list, it doesn't show the doctors in any search results, it just asks me to create a new contact named dr. This happened with both "Dr. Axxx" in the first name field, both in the last name field, and "Dr." in first name and "Axxx" in last name. Other than that, it works fine. If I type Amy or Mike, it shows my contacts named that, if I type B it shows my B contacts, if I type D it even shows my D contacts not including doctors. I fixed it by changing Dr. to Doctor in my contact names with Doctor in first name and their last name in the last name field, but why the hell does it do that in the first place? Shouldn't I be able to name my contacts whatever I want and have the search function work no matter what?

Timar99

Reaction score
yeah I have had this same prob too even before the update...weird huh

Sent from my DROID Pro using DroidForums

SAVVY_1

Reaction score
Good point you brought up re contacts "Dr"
I just tried it with my saved contacts i.e. Dr. Xyz and nothing. I then typed Xyz and then it displayed the contact as I orig stored it Dr. Xyz.
Go figure, another glitch.

SAVVY_1

Reaction score
Cont... I know this had to have begun with the recent OTA Upgrade because I searched for a "Dr." Name in my contacts prior to the upgrade and it worked the logical way.

doug1624

Reaction score
Dumb question, but does it do it with "Dr" as well as "Dr." ? I can imagine why it doesn't do it, imagine searching for "Mr." - you would get everyone! The phone probably ignores the title.

I just tried it both ways Dr/Dr. (using stock Froyo) and it doesn't work either way. But what does work is if you have the "Dr." name filled in under the Organizations -> Work -> "Company" or "Title" fields. These must be some of the fields that the phone searches when you ask it to look someone up. (The way I found this was by already having that filled in for some Drs.!)

Now I can't speak for GB, but try it, it may work for you. It could be time consuming to fill in, but you only have to do it once and you can do it via gmail on a regular PC (if that's how you're syncing contacts).

Good luck!

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

SAVVY_1

Reaction score
Thank you! I will give it a try.

OP
L

lalala11

Reaction score
hmm

the organization -> title thing works, but it's still weird. Why just this one thing? I should be able to list someone as "akjfbjasgga" if I want and they should still show up in search if I type "akj". Why should search pick and choose what it will search for, isn't it just a simple search/filter? I thought it might automatically search for title when I type dr and since there are none, it doesn't find dr in the name fields, but I changed a contact to first name Dre and it found them with "dr".

Also, just a note, someone else said this didn't start until GB for them, but I definitely had this issue day 1 on this phone a year ago.

I guess I'll go add titles to all my doctors now...thanks!

laynieme

Reaction score
I thought maybe it had something to do with my google or address book; but nada. Entered "Dr." "Dr"; neither works. You can put in "DOC", you can put in "D"....... you can put in "Drg", etc. I have discovered that I now have OCD due to this issue, lol. Only because I have all the doc's listed (as one most likely would!) as "Dr. ......" but I tried to put in a new entry and I can't search it. I can scroll down in my contacts and find it; under the correct place but I can't actually type in search. I even deleted an old doc and put it back in and I can't fix that one now. Also, if you go to the edit on a "Dr. Whoever".......and you look, there is no "Dr." in the fields. Of course this isn't the end of the world; but when I can't figure out something on my phone; which used to work I get a little bit competitive so to speak, haha!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wow, my stock contacts app does the same thing, it will not provide results for a search of "Dr." My Go Contacts app is able to do a "Dr" though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Last edited:

SAVVY_1

Reaction score
If anyone resolves this issue, please let the rest of us know. Thanks.