Contacts With Similar Names/Nicknames Merging & Cannot Undo

Golden614

Reaction score
Hi -- I am having a problem with my new Droid that I think is Droid specific.

Using Google sync, I have brought over my contacts from my Blackberry.

My brother is James. My father is Jim. The Droid has merged them (since they have the same last name) into one contact, so they both show up as Jim (with two numbers, two emails, two Facebook accounts, etc.) This is not how they show up on Google Sync so I think it is Droid-specific. It happens with my cousin/uncle, who are Robert & Bob, as well.

I have tried deleting the contacts and entering them manually, but they again merged and I cannot undo it.

Does anyone know what I could do to have two separate, distinct contacts on the Droid for family members with similar first names? Thanks!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Select the contact, hit menu. There should be an option to separate.

OP
G

Golden614

Reaction score
Thanks it worked -- my problem was I didnt select the menu once inside "Edit Contact" -- if any of you is having this problem, select EDIT CONTACT and then the menu and there is the separate option.

Thanks again!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am a facebook friend with another person with my exact first/last name - our contacts both got merged together too, even though he's in NJ and me in PA, not that that matters anyway.

HeelToTheEnd

Reaction score
hey google

here's an idea:

how bout you let ME decide if i want contacts under the same name by, oh i dunno, PUTTING THEM UNDER THE SAME NAME MYSELF. and how bout you stay out of it?
or is that too intuitive?

scabbotts

Reaction score
Contacts being merged

I have 5 contacts that are related. 3 of them work for the family company and the other 2 do not. The 3 that work together were automatically merged into 1 contact. The other 2 are fine and were not merged. I have tried the previous comments but when I choose edit I am not given another menu option. Once I hit edit contact, 2 buttons come up below the contact: Save or Cancel. Nothing happens if I hit the menu button. I have a Samsung Mesmerize. I love the phone but the contact manager is absolutely driving me nuts. Does anybody have any other ideas that might work besides throwing it against a wall.

Thanks,

Scott