contacts lost

raskolnik

Reaction score
I'm one of those who was having serious issues with the Froyo update. Some people suggested doing a factory reset, so I finally did that, after making sure everything was backed up.

Unfortunately, HTC seems to have a different idea of what "backup" means than I do...to me, it means saving everything in a different location so you can get it later. To HTC, it means to say it's backing up but not actually do so.

The end result is I've lost all my contacts. I've gone through the set-up thing when the phone first runs in order to try and restore them, to no avail. I've also changed the view options in People, so I can see everything except Google's auto contacts.

Is there anywhere else I need to look or am I out of luck?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
All contacts should be backed up to Google unless they were saved to phone only...

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are your contacts synced with Google ? They should be visible when you log into your Gmail account on a computer, if not then they would be lost.

OP
R

raskolnik

Reaction score
Are your contacts synced with Google ? They should be visible when you log into your Gmail account on a computer, if not then they would be lost.

My phone said they were, but they're not. So great.

Thanks HTC...managed to screw up while fixing a screw-up.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
How did your phone say they were synced ?

I don't even think it's possible to not sync contacts unless you choose not to, but it is difficult to avoid

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

My phone said they were, but they're not. So great.

Thanks HTC...managed to screw up while fixing a screw-up.

Have you logged into gmail on your PC? Are they there?

OP
R

raskolnik

Reaction score
How did your phone say they were synced ?

It's probably not an HTC problem

Went into Backup Assistant (which is where you go from People when you tell it to back up), hit "Sync now," and let it do its thing.

Backnblack said:
Have you logged into gmail on your PC? Are they there?

I have, and they're not there. I have the random people that Google adds...and that's it. No phone numbers for anyone who is both an automatically-added Gmail contact and someone who was on my phone.

chaz.ring

Reaction score
I guess this is common...... Mine did the same exact thing... 6 years of networking is now gone....:icon_evil: