Contacts load slow (5600 contacts)

benualson

Reaction score
I have a user who has 5600 contacts on his Droid 2. The user's only complaint about the phone is that his contacts load slow. I have been testing the phone/contacts. After a reboot, it can take 15-25 seconds for the contact list to load after selecting the contacts button. After loading initially, subsequent requests to load the contact list are much faster (2-5 seconds). Sometimes it is slower, maybe 6-8 seconds.

He has these accounts synced to the phone: a corporate sync exchange account, google, qik, linkedin, picasa, and twitter. Contacts are set to sync for all of these accounts.

My beleif is that the contact list is slow because of the multiple contact list sources & that the user has 5600 contacts.

I would like input for these questions:

What should the contact list load times look like considering the facts above?

Would resetting the phone improve performance?

We don't want to switch to a newer (dual core Droid 3) phone, but how much would performance increase for this issue if we did?

Thanks,

Insidious

Reaction score
Its just the slowness of motorolas UI. My droid 2 is like that but if I put a ROM on it like CM7, Liquid, or MIUI.US they load almost instantly

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

OP
B

benualson

Reaction score
Its just the slowness of motorolas UI. My droid 2 is like that but if I put a ROM on it like CM7, Liquid, or MIUI.US they load almost instantly

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

How many contacts do you have? From how many sources?

lizard

Reaction score
Your user seems very unique. It might be tough finding someone to compare apples to apples as people with that many contacts on their phone are few and far between. Mine loads about 100 almost instanty.

Edit: you said first loadup is slow after boot, then it takes from 2-8 seconds or so. If it were me I would reboot my phone at the beginning of every day, load up the contacts that first time then be set. Loading that many contacts in less than 10 seconds seems ok to me. Did somebody tell them THEY have a phone that'll do it faster?

Sent from my rooted, and CM7 rommed, Droid2

Last edited:

lizard

Reaction score
Also does it load the same if you open contacts vs opening dialer and then selecting contacts tab? Just curious.

Sent from my rooted, and CM7 rommed, Droid2

OP
B

benualson

Reaction score
I tested it some more. If I go in and out of contacts it is very fast (less than 2 seconds, and it doesn't matter if i go from dial pad or strait to contacts). However, if I use a couple apps, like the internet and facebook, then go to contacts, it takes 15-20 seconds to bring up contacts again...much like the first time after boot.