contact list problems

deadernie

Reaction score
When I bought my droid I had all my contacts transferred from my razr to the droid by the vzw tech person. As far as I know all the contacts transferred but here is the problem. If I scroll through the list several contacts are missing. However if I use the search function and spell the name fully the name will display without the number. The only way I can see the number is to press the call button. also some contacts that had multiple numbers got other people added in with them. Example. . .if I look @ my list of contacts for tom it shows his work, home, cell and billy is in there with him. What's the easiest way to solve this?

Steve H

Reaction score
are you also using gmail? if you are the easiest way to straighten out your contact is to sit down at your computer and edit your gmail contact list.

OP
D

deadernie

Reaction score
Yes. Have gmail. Just need access to the computer. Still a noob trying to figure all this out. I assume if I sign into gmail from a pc I'm able to view/edit contacts?

Steve H

Reaction score
Yes. Have gmail. Just need access to the computer. Still a noob trying to figure all this out. I assume if I sign into gmail from a pc I'm able to view/edit contacts?

Yes you can, just log into your gmail account and bring up your contact list and edit away.

OP
D

deadernie

Reaction score
Update. . .

Got to a PC and went to Gmail and brought up my contact list and the same thing happens here that happens on my phone. With "all contacts" selected I'm still noticing missing contact names. If I search for them they will appear in the box to the right under a heading called "other contacts".

Is there a way to view these "other contacts" Shouldn't they be visible when viewing "all contacts"? I have no way of updating or editing the contacts that are missing unless I know the name of every one that is not appearing in my contacts list.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got to a PC and went to Gmail and brought up my contact list and the same thing happens here that happens on my phone. With "all contacts" selected I'm still noticing missing contact names. If I search for them they will appear in the box to the right under a heading called "other contacts".

Is there a way to view these "other contacts" Shouldn't they be visible when viewing "all contacts"? I have no way of updating or editing the contacts that are missing unless I know the name of every one that is not appearing in my contacts list.

Move them over to the "My Contacts" list. It's real easy to do, then they should appear on your phone.

OP
D

deadernie

Reaction score
I understand that part of it. No problems there. How do I find the "other contacts"? They do not show up when viewing "all contacts". So far the only way I've been able to get them to show up is if I search for them specifically by name.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
In Gmail on line you should see a column that says My Contacts. Under that header is other headings like All Contacts, and Most Contacts. Click on All Contacts and they should be there. Then just edit it to my contacts by clicking the button on top of the right side of the screen.

OP
D

deadernie

Reaction score
That's the problem. . . They don't show up when viewing "All Contacts" list.! ! ! If I go to search and type the name in it shows up in the field to the right under bold letters that says "Other Contacts" Where are these other contacts and how do I view them???

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's the problem. . . They don't show up when viewing "All Contacts" list.! ! ! If I go to search and type the name in it shows up in the field to the right under bold letters that says "Other Contacts" Where are these other contacts and how do I view them???

OK...You're doing your search on line with a computer, correct? Just trying to understand what you're saying. Because they should all show up on a computer logged into gmail. It can be done but it's more difficult to do with the phone.

Just trying to get on the same page with you. I see where you can search contacts but the contacts you find should be under all contacts.

OP
D

deadernie

Reaction score
First let me say thanks for trying to help. . .

To answer your questions. . . Yes I'm searching my contacts online via computer not the droid. And I understand that they should all show up however they are not. I'm guessing it was something that was lost in translation when I bought the phone and the tech at VZW transferred my contacts from my RAZR. A good example of what's happening to be is as follows. .

You are looking at your contact list online in gmail and your are looking for your friend Bill in your all contacts list. . . he is not there. You then search for Bill and type his name in the search field. He shows up under a heading called "other contacts". I can then select Bill to be added to my "all contacts" list with no problem.

The problem is how do I see all of these "other contacts"??? Right now I have many names that are not showing up in my "all contacts" list in gmail or my contacts list on the phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First let me say thanks for trying to help. . .

To answer your questions. . . Yes I'm searching my contacts online via computer not the droid. And I understand that they should all show up however they are not. I'm guessing it was something that was lost in translation when I bought the phone and the tech at VZW transferred my contacts from my RAZR. A good example of what's happening to be is as follows. .

You are looking at your contact list online in gmail and your are looking for your friend Bill in your all contacts list. . . he is not there. You then search for Bill and type his name in the search field. He shows up under a heading called "other contacts". I can then select Bill to be added to my "all contacts" list with no problem.

The problem is how do I see all of these "other contacts"??? Right now I have many names that are not showing up in my "all contacts" list in gmail or my contacts list on the phone.

OK. You're doing everything correctly. Sorry I see we just went around in a circle. My best guess is you'll have to add them one at a time. I can't duplicate your problem but I think I've seen others with this issue so hopefully someone else has a better answer.

OP
D

deadernie

Reaction score
I don't mind the extra time involved in having to add all the missing contacts one at a time. The major problem is finding these missing "other contacts" They are obviously in the gmail system because I can search them out. But how do I view them and then add or delete them? Right now I really don't have a way of knowing exactly how many are invisible to me (unless I remember the name). I'm sure I can't remember all of them that are missing. lol. Hopefully somebody else out there has had this problem and can help. I can't be the only one can I?