Contact information appearing twice??

Agunat

Reaction score
HTC Desire 626, Android 5.1

When I pull up information for one of the contacts on my phone sometimes everything (phone #, address, etc.) is listed twice. I know the cause of this is that the contact is saved to two separate places,Google cloud, the phone itself, or elsewhere. What I do not see is how to correct this contact and set the phone so it does not happen again. Help please.

Thaks in advance... Bob

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hey Bob, you can link contacts like that together. Open up the one that you want to be the main contact and there should be a "link" option in the menu. There may also be an icon that looks like a chain. That's for linking contacts as well. I can't give you specifics, because I'm not familiar with that exact phone, but the option should be there somewhere in the contacts app menus.

OP
A

Agunat

Reaction score
I'm sorry, my question was misunderstood. There is no linking of contacts involved in the question. What I was referring to is that sometimes when I pull up a contact to view it's information many of the fields show up twice when obviously they should only show one time each. It shows duplicate phone numbers, addresses, etc. When I say duplicate I mean exact copies. The same address is shown 2 times, the same phone # shows twice, etc.. This happened a while back and the rep showed me that the reason was that the phone was saving the information to multiple locations when entered, one of which is Google contacts online which is what I prefer, He did show me a place in the settings where I could tell the phone to only use the information stored as Google and not from multiple sources. My problem is that I cannot find where that setting is. I would like to change the setting for that contact so it shows the information correctly and tells the phone on a global basis to only use Google for all future entries. Thanks, I hope this clears it up.

Thanks... Bob

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm sorry, my question was misunderstood. There is no linking of contacts involved in the question. What I was referring to is that sometimes when I pull up a contact to view it's information many of the fields show up twice when obviously they should only show one time each. It shows duplicate phone numbers, addresses, etc. When I say duplicate I mean exact copies. The same address is shown 2 times, the same phone # shows twice, etc.. This happened a while back and the rep showed me that the reason was that the phone was saving the information to multiple locations when entered, one of which is Google contacts online which is what I prefer, He did show me a place in the settings where I could tell the phone to only use the information stored as Google and not from multiple sources. My problem is that I cannot find where that setting is. I would like to change the setting for that contact so it shows the information correctly and tells the phone on a global basis to only use Google for all future entries. Thanks, I hope this clears it up.

Thanks... Bob

I think what you are looking for is: Contacts (or People, whatever the app is called on your phone) > Menu (3 dots) > Contacts To Display > Select Google. That may be the setting they showed you. That way you should only see Contact info from your saved Google contacts.

OP
A

Agunat

Reaction score
That seems to be the correct answer..after a few scares setting it up I think I've got it. At first I thought I lost everything. I'll let you know if there is a problem.

Thanks... Bob

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You'll want to make sure you're saving all new contacts to your Google account if you select that option. If you find that some have disappeared, they may ONLY be saved to the phone. In that case, I'd recommend copying the info to your Google account. Doing this saves your contact info with your Google account as long as you have sync turned on. This allows you to simply sync a new phone and have all of your contacts right away.