Constant Hotspot Disconnections

mozygirl

Reaction score
Ok, I really need to know if anyone else is having constant disconnections from the hotspot. I have two Rezound phones and both of them are disconnecting frequently (sometimes up to 4 times in an hour). Most of the time, I have to do a complete battery pull for it to work again. This is totally unacceptable. HTC is blaming Verizon, Verizon doesn't know why. I would really like to know if it is a problem of the phone (software since both phones are disconnecting) or the Verizon hotspot. I am definitely returning one of the Rezounds as that is the one that is dedicated for home hotspot use but I really don't want to return the one I use for phone use because other than the hotspot issue, the phone is great! I have gone through all the steps, Verizon customer service, tech support, HTC tech support, different settings, etc. I just would like to know if this is a widespread issue, THANKS!

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
one of the Rezounds as that is the one that is dedicated for home hotspot use

Not trying to be insulting in the least, but you realize you can buy a 4G hotspot without the phone right? I mean if you go them cheap enough I could understand but that's an entire phone bill for just a hotspot...

OT, I tried using the hotspot, it said I needed to pay Verizon money....I said "bhaahahahahhahahaha" and closed it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

OP
M

mozygirl

Reaction score
No offense taken! Since this is a grandfathered plan, I get unlimited data for my hotspot! Phone line $10, unlimited date $30 and an additional $30 for unlimited hotspot. 4g Mifi is $80 with only 10g limit. So for $10 cheaper and unlimited data it is better for me to use this as a home phone.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
No offense taken! Since this is a grandfathered plan, I get unlimited data for my hotspot! Phone line $10, unlimited date $30 and an additional $30 for unlimited hotspot. 4g Mifi is $80 with only 10g limit. So for $10 cheaper and unlimited data it is better for me to use this as a home phone.

Well then you win. Before you do anything rash like dumping the phone. Try a factory reset. If that doesn't clear up your problem(s) then exchange it. There were obviously bad batches of phones made.

kalel51

Reaction score
Same here.

I had this problem almost since day one with the Thunderbolt. After five months of frustration and calling, they refunded all of my hotspot payments. They thought it was the phone, so I upgraded (for free minus tax) to the Rezound. I still have the same issues. I cuts out randomly, and it is frustrating. Keep calling, keep demanding a refund on the data, and eventually it will cost them so much they will look into it. I haven't paid for hotspot data in almost a year now, and everytime the 4G goes out, I call and ask for a refund of that months data, and I always get it.
Good lick, and I hope they figure it out soon. One thing, they told me that an antivirus might be causing the outages, but i have deleted it and not seen a difference. Let me know if you get it resolved.

bvjens31

Reaction score
using the offical app? dont, downloadwireless tether for root users.

Gotta be rooted for that app to work I believe. My hotspot was dropping too so I just canceled the service and paid 10 bucks for EasyTether and it's been very worth it! Of course that's only USB tether, which won't work for some devices (tabs etc)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

phossil1943

Reaction score
VZW 3G Tether Workaround

After many hours of frustration in attempting to maintain a consistent 3G Hotspot internet connection I think I may have found the problem.

Root cause: The Droid 3G Hotspot is not a dedicated WiFi hotspot like you have at home or in a coffee shop. It is a multifunction device that uses 3G for many other things such as automatically updating e-mail, weather, apps, and other scheduled forms of data delivery. Observation has shown that Hotspot internet connectivity is lost whenever Android uses 3G to perform one, or more, of these functions.

Admittedly, the Droid should not lose internet connectivity whenever it polls for an e-mail update, or checks the weather, or updates a application... but it does.

My work-around consists of two parts; Droid settings and procedures.

Droid settings:
On the Droid, go to Settings/Battery & data manager/Battery mode and set to 'Performance mode'. This insures that there should be fewer 'time-outs' on system functions.
Next, disable auto update for any applications that you can. I.E. I have set Weatherbug to only update once an hour and my e-mail applications to update manually. For ease of maintenance I still use auto update for apps but try to insure there are no outstanding Market updates prior to going online, if they fire off, I will lose internet connectivity. The idea is to minimize the possibility of Android using 3G for something without your knowledge.

Now your 3G Hotspot should not time-out but will require manual update for some applications.

Procedure: The following works for me on Win7 Pro 64bit and my Droid-X.
1) Disable the wireless adapter on the PC. This clears out any previous internet connections.
2) Turn on wireless tether (3G Hotspot) and wait till the 3G and signal strength bars turn from blue to white. I have no idea what this 'mode change' is all about but if the notifications are blue... no internet.
3) Enable the wireless adapter on the PC. Depending on your network settings the 3G Hotspot should connect automatically or you may have to manually connect.

Your 3G Hotspot should now remain connected much longer than it ever did before. However, since we cannot control everything Android does with 3G, we will still lose internet connectivity from time to time. When that happens, reset the 3G internet connection by either rebooting the Droid or using the 'Reset Connection' app from the Marketplace (preferred) and start over with step 1.

Update: It seems that the 'real' root cause of disconnects are OTA updates for applications. This issue is supposedly fixed in the new release version 4.5.621.MB810. I am at 4.5.605.MB810.Verizon.en.US and the update is not yet available.

Last edited: