Confused by the Music Player app

jneusch

Reaction score
See, I thought I might have been dense. I started playing from my main library, not a playlist. Technically, my main library is a playlist that I synced from iTunes. I haven't created any additional playlists yet. So when I go back I am seeing all of my music. Sorry!

Vcize

Reaction score
I'm glad I found this thread. I had the same issue and thought I must just be some special kind of stupid. Surely any music player would have a way to go back up in the library.

hollywood_35

Reaction score
I agree, this is a horrible issue. It's minor, but it's such an engineering fail in my opinion. I have tried almost everything to fix this with no luck. You are forced to access your full music library through music square, which is a horrible way to listen to music. Music square must have been a side project for an intern or something, it's completely useless. Hoping for an update soon.

Rsmith09

Reaction score
I've had no problem with the music player only that I think it's a poor make but still not experiencing problems. I use my music play bout 6hrs of the day I've not seen what y'all are talking about

Z06_Mir

Reaction score
I've been using play music. I only wish that the headphones wouldn't show up for it in the bar.. It looks dumb to have two sets of those in the status bar.

addy1

Reaction score
Hey, I think I understand what this confusion is all about and I think I found the answer. If you are listening to a song, just click on the snow icon above the time (duration) of the song, which will take you to the top menu from where you could choose playlists, songs, genres etc.

PhotoJoeCA

Reaction score
When I am on the now playing screen if I hit the music note next to the skip forward button it takes me back to all my songs....

View attachment 56165

The button you want is right there. I'm not sure why everyone here fails to see it. There's the suffle/noshuffle button on the low left. There's the repeat button low center. There's the button you folks are saying isn't there on the low right. Below that is the progress bar type thing. On the bottom left is the sound configuration thing, rewind, pause/play, fast-forward, and current playlist button on the bottom right.

snellios

Reaction score
PhotoJoeCA & Addy1: Thanks for the link to the User Guide, but it doesnt tell us how to get back to the library in one click, without going via the snowflake - which is to 'Sort music files by mood or year.' The SnowFlake takes you back to Music Square, where you can then access Albums/Artists, true - but The Music Square feature is so redundant it would be better to just get rid of that button and replace it with one that took you back to Artists. Minor issue, but still ridiculous that Music Squares has its own button when Artists or Playlists does not...

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
It depends on your point of entry into the now playing screen. If you start in library, yes you can simply hit the back button. Try this. Start a song. Hit the home button. Pull down your notification bar and go back to the song you were playing. Now try to select another song. See what we are saying? It's the same problem if you use the music widget. Your point of entry into the now playing screen determines where the back button takes you.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I did that. I start a song then hit the home button. I even opened up other apps. I then pull down the notifications and select the album art of the song that is playing and I go back to that song. If I hit the back button, I go to the album list. If I hit the back button again I get my library. I cannot duplicate the problem.

I do get the problem you describe if I back out of the music app all the way to the home screen. I never do that so it is not a problem for me.

The key is to have the album art showing when you hit the home button. Then you can back up from the notification location.

Last edited:

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
PhotoJoeCA & Addy1: Thanks for the link to the User Guide, but it doesnt tell us how to get back to the library in one click, without going via the snowflake - which is to 'Sort music files by mood or year.' The SnowFlake takes you back to Music Square, where you can then access Albums/Artists, true - but The Music Square feature is so redundant it would be better to just get rid of that button and replace it with one that took you back to Artists. Minor issue, but still ridiculous that Music Squares has its own button when Artists or Playlists does not...

Ok well, technically, the snow flake is the library button. Yes it defaults at the music squares, but once you hit it, all you need is one more tap right up top to get to EITHER artists, songs, or folders, not just artist, which I'd say is pretty standard in most libraries. In fact, sometimes they lead straight to artists (I assume that's what you were expecting), but then if you're looking for a folder or specific song, there's a multitude of taps needed. This puts you at a "homescreen library," where you then choose where you want to go. I can't believe all the fuss over having to do one more tap!! Come on people!!

Also the music squares feature is actually pretty cool IMO. I don't really use it, but I like the idea behind it.

snellios

Reaction score
4.1.1 Update: Home screen library button

Wahey...partial fix. After 4.1.1 update, the widget on the home screen now has its very own library button. Cool...maybe they were listening to us after all.:biggrin:

combatmeow

Reaction score
Pretty Sure I got it!

I'm sorry, I've since tried to duplicate the problem, and I agree, I can't find a way back to the library from the song screen. Apparently, I had been playing only from the playlist screen.
So far I've replaced the browser, the email app, and the keyboard. May be looking for a good music player also.
I'm surprised Samsung released with such buggy software. Otherwise I love the phone.

Ok so the reason I came to this thread was this problem. I started playing around annnnnd figured out this -

-go into magic squares and you
-use the scroll at the bar in the top that has "all","playlists","albums","artists","music square","folders"..
-Click on the the "folders" option and it will say "Music" /sdcard/music and then under that 1 folder.
-hit the "music" and it will bring up all of your songs (assuming they are all in the one folder)!!

K hope that helps!

Combat XO