Confused about backups.

kenstar

Reaction score
I want to get some more info before I even decide to use a ROM.

Questions:
-What is the difference between ClockWork and SPRecovery, is one better than the other? Do both of these work on the Droid 2 Global?
-From what I gathered from reading, a Nandroid is a type of backup for things like ROM fails. Can you only create a Nandroid from a bootstrapper?
-How does one create a Nandroid? B/c I have Titanium Backup and Have backed up my data and app files. <-- is this the same thing as a 'Nandroid'?

Manchild

Reaction score
I can answer some of your questions.

A nandroid backup is a backup created using clockwork mod recovery, which is accessed through bootstrapper. It is a good idea to backup your current rom(stock in your case) before flashing a new rom using a nandroid backup. It creates an exact copy of EVERYTHING. So in case anything goes bad with the new ROM, you can simply restore the backup. When you restore one, everything will be just like it was when you backed it up. What you do in titanium backup is only backing up the apps and data.

To create a backup, you go into bootstrapper, and click "bootstrap recovery" and then once it says success, click reboot recovery. Then once you are in recovery mode, navigate the menu using the arrow keys and go to "backup and restore". Then click "backup" and once it is done you have created a backup. In order to restore one, you go to the same place. In order to make one, you need to have the following:
-bootstrapper
-clockwork mod recovery
-rom mananger

Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
SPRecovery is only for the D1. Pay more attention to what you're looking at because there is no SBF to flash the D2G back to stock at present, so if you screw something up you're out $500.

OP
K

kenstar

Reaction score
Rog. Thanks for the info. I don't plan on flashing a rom till the sbf is out.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Good idea. :) I've seen a rash of soft-bricked phones. On the plus side the SBF may be out in about a week. No guarantees, it needs testing, but it's in the works.

OP
K

kenstar

Reaction score
To create a backup, you go into bootstrapper, and click "bootstrap recovery" and then once it says success, click reboot recovery. Then once you are in recovery mode, navigate the menu using the arrow keys and go to "backup and restore". Then click "backup" and once it is done you have created a backup. In order to restore one, you go to the same place. In order to make one, you need to have the following:
-bootstrapper
-clockwork mod recovery
-rom mananger

Hope this helps.

So, pretty much the Clockwork Mod Recovery is found in the Bootstrapper itself, correct? Why do I need 'rom manager' just to create a nandroid (don't plan on flashing a rom)? So, technically I would only need the bootstrapper right?

edit: Should I even be creating a nandroid right now, seeing how I don't plan on flashing a rom anytime soon?

Manchild

Reaction score
-bootstrapper
-clockwork mod recovery
-rom mananger

Hope this helps.

So, pretty much the Clockwork Mod Recovery is found in the Bootstrapper itself, correct? Why do I need 'rom manager' just to create a nandroid (don't plan on flashing a rom)? So, technically I would only need the bootstrapper right?

edit: Should I even be creating a nandroid right now, seeing how I don't plan on flashing a rom anytime soon?
I'm not sure if you necessarily need rom manager but its what I used to flash clockwork mod recovery. I'm not sure if that was necessary though as I was still figuring stuff out myself at that point in time. Plus it is a nice tool to have to manage your backups and such as you can rename them whatever you like. It helps to keep them more organized. You don't really need to create a backup until you want to flash a ROM though to answer your second question. It could be helpful I guess if you want to save different setups or layouts of your phone. But mostly, they are just used when flashing different roms.

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
yea as fur. said dont flash anything as of right now but you download bootstrap in the market for $2 or off Kouchs web site for free, up 2u, but you make a nandroid backup in clockwork which bootstrap sends you to and you need to do one everytime you load a new rom, theme whatever.....that is also what you use to install the ROMs as well so that will be what you need

OP
K

kenstar

Reaction score
Does this this nandroid get saved on the sd card?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

Manchild

Reaction score
Yea. In the clockworkmod recovery folder.

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
yes sir it does but it takes up alot of space so each time you make one go in a remove the one you made b4 that one with you pc or astro is what i use

Manchild

Reaction score
Or you can keep them and use them as an easy way to switch between ROMs once you begin trying out new ROMs. :)

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
true but if you do wanna keep them tranfer them to your PC bc after about 5-6 or sd card will be full if you move you apps and all to you sd