Concerts

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
First off... HOW's everyone been?

Miss Me?

LOL!!

My wife and I went and saw Elton John back in November; he put on a great show! 3 1/2 hours of solid hits. It was my wife's birthday gift.

Hoping to go see Van Halen (the REAL Van Halen w/ Diamond Dave) if they come nearby.

Our biggest wish is to see Steely Dan. When we were first married we didn't have a TV or hardly anything but a record player. One of the few albums we had was a Steely Dan collection. Needless to say we listened to it tons! If they ever tour, we're going (as long as it's on planet earth).

Any good shows for any droiders lately?

Kack

Reaction score
no prob it may have to wait til saturday or sundya cuz i have to start work at 3am on friday and wont be home til saturday so i may be asleep but it will be well worth it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've seen Elton John 5 times. He's still good but his voice isn't quite what it was in his prime. Don't get me wrong, he can still sing. But he's lost his range.

I first saw him in I think it was 1972, just before Goodbye Yellowbrick Road came out at the Long Beach Arena. that's as close as I ever got to him. Then it was the Forum, Dodger Stadium (70's) then in the 90's I saw him again at the Forum and finally at the Hollywood Bowl.

I always considered Elton to be a Rock star, not a pop star. At the Hollywood Bowl he brought out George Michaels to sing "Don't Let The Sun Come Down On Me." That bummed me out. George Michaels is a pop star and I didn't come to see him sing that song.

The good news about Elton is that his last 4 albums, including the one he has done with Leon Russell are all good. The follow up to Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy (The Captain and The Kid) was the best album he's done since Blue Moves.

The last concert I went to was to see the Eagles. They played hit after hit. I wanted to hear "Old '55" or Dueling Daltons. At least something that wasn'tone of their big hits. Maybe Outlaw Man. They played a few tracks off The Long Road to Eden that weren't big hits but that was it.

I wouldn't want to see Elton do all of his hits. I'd like to hear him sing Grimsby, I've Seen That Movie Too, Dirty Little Girl. I think if I hear Bennie and the Jets one more time I'll throw up.

I would have liked to seen the concerts he did with Leon Russell. I'll bet that was something. Truth is I long for the days when he had his 6 inch heels, pink hair, and outrageous glasses.

Now that's the Elton I loved. Play a Texas Love Song. Do your good stuff.

UNC

Reaction score
Just saw Prince in Greensboro. It was freaking amazing, biggest mashup of demographics I've ever seen. Best show I've seen in years, if you get the chance to see him you must go. Not sure if he was as good as McCartney in Montreal, but its close.

OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
He was with Leon when we saw him. Leon opened the whole show with "Tight Rope" He was so frail looking someone had to help him to and from the piano. He and Elton did some great duets. Leon's band would go off on a jam and it sounded like some sweet almost Soutern Rock.

Elton's range has gone a bit; he sings almost in a lower register. Still really full and rich. He didn't even do Crocidile Rock, but MAN OH MAN he did a version of "Rocket Man" that went on a good 15 minutes and he used echo effects and it was SO cool. I jumped up and started cheering at one point and looked around and everyone was still sitting. I kept on cheering.
Tickled them ivories and wore that piano out, lemme tell ya. I never realized he was such a good piano player.

We had a good time, if you can't tell.

:)

OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Just saw Prince in Greensboro. It was freaking amazing, biggest mashup of demographics I've ever seen. Best show I've seen in years, if you get the chance to see him you must go. Not sure if he was as good as McCartney in Montreal, but its close.

Gosh, I didn't even know Prince was in Greensboro. He can about wear a guitar OUT! His performance of "Purple Rain" in the rain at the Super Bowl, was IMHO the best SB Half Time ever!

Would have loved to have seen him.

Remember that rythm guitarist he had at one time; in The Revolution, I believe. Man she was HOT.

NightAngel79

Reaction score
I just bought some tickets to see Phish. Been wanting to see them since the 90's but could never make it happen.... They are finally coming to my area (riverbend, cincinnati) and i'm totally EXCITED!!!

OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Our biggest wish is to see Steely Dan. When we were first married we didn't have a TV or hardly anything but a record player. One of the few albums we had was a Steely Dan collection. Needless to say we listened to it tons! If they ever tour, we're going (as long as it's on planet earth).

*UPDATE*

Just ordered tickets for Steely Dan!!! I'm SO excited. It's on 8/4 and our 27th anniversary is 8/7. Great seats too, Orchestra (floor seats) 12th row from stage; right of center.

CAN'T wait; my wife and my longest running concert wish!!:icon_ banana:dancedroid

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
He I never realized he was such a good piano player.

Yes, I offen wondered who is better, him or Billy Joel. Strictly on piano that is.

In the great world of keyboards I'd have to say nobody I've ever seen is better then Keith Emerson. I think he would take both Elton and Billy Joel to the test even on just the piano, let alone everything else he play.

Here's a little music trivia for you. Are you familiar with Jackson Browne's Red Neck Friends? Piano player is listed as "Rockaday Johnnie." That's Elton John.

Edit: Another little known fact about Elton. His hands are so small he can barely cover an octave. And I know you were stunned by his performance, but if you'd have seen him in his prime when he would jump all over the piano, well, that was amazing too.

Last edited:
OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score

Yes, I offen wondered who is better, him or Billy Joel. Strictly on piano that is.

In the great world of keyboards I'd have to say nobody I've ever seen is better then Keith Emerson. I think he would take both Elton and Billy Joel to the test even on just the piano, let alone everything else he play.

Here's a little music trivia for you. Are you familiar with Jackson Browne's Red Neck Friends? Piano player is listed as "Rockaday Johnnie."

Edit: Another little known fact about Elton. His hands are so small he can barely cover an octave. And I know you were stunned by his performance, but if you'd have seen him in his prime when he would jump all over the piano, well, that was amazing too.

That's Elton John.

I did notice how his hands moved a lot from side to side; he was covering the piano from one end to the other most excellently and effortlessly. He also has great rhythm and timing from boogie runs to ochestra type arppegios.

Haven't heard of Rockaday Johnnie, but I have heard of Jackson Browne's Redneck Freinds. Aren't they the ones that did his version of Coacaine?
"You take Sally and I'll take Sue..."

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Here's a little music trivia for you. Are you familiar with Jackson Browne's Red Neck Friends? Piano player is listed as "Rockaday Johnnie."

That's Elton John.

I did notice how his hands moved a lot from side to side; he was covering the piano from one end to the other most excellently and effortlessly. He also has great rhythm and timing from boogie runs to ochestra type arppegios.

Haven't heard of Rockaday Johnnie, but I have heard of Jackson Browne's Redneck Freinds. Aren't they the ones that did his version of Coacaine?

Well, you never heard of Rockaday Johnnie because there isn't one, that was just a name that Elton used to play in the song "Redneck Friends." Which was on Jackson Browne's album "For Everyman." That's a song, not a group.

Cocaine was recorded on the Album Running on Empty by Jackson Bronwn. Generally recorded in either on stage performances, a bus, or in a hotel room. From the sound of that recording my guess was that was in a hotel room but I'm not sure.

OP
DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs

Reaction score

That's Elton John.

Well, you never heard of Rockaday Johnnie because there isn't one, that was just a name that Elton used to play in the song "Redneck Friends." Which was on Jackson Browne's album "For Everyman." That's a song, not a group.

Cocaine was recorded on the Album Running on Empty by Jackson Bronwn. Generally recorded in either on stage performances, a bus, or in a hotel room. From the sound of that recording my guess was that was in a hotel room but I'm not sure.

Sorta like a "pen name" or pseudonym (I think - Stephen King wrote a few books under another name).

I had a brain cramp on the "Running on Empty" album. I love all the songs from it.

Really pumped about Steely Dan though.

Robdiesel

Reaction score
What is this the 70s? ! Who goes to see Elton John. Wow blown away

Sent from my DROIDX