Computer speakers buzz when 4G LTE is on

monorion

Reaction score
The title says it all is this normal?

when i turn on 4G my speakers go nuts but when i turn it back to 3g its gone is it using the same frequency or something? its quite annoying when im on my computer and all i hear is buzzing here are the speakers i have

Logitech - Speaker System Z313

anyway on how to fix this without turning 4G off?

Thank you.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I have a set of speakers that do that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Natey2

Reaction score
I hear GSM phones (e.g. AT&T) do that. I had one and can confirm that.
CDMA phones (e.g. Verizon) don't.
I've not had interference in nearby speakers since I switched to CDMA, even though I like the concept of a SIM card.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

saspcguy

Reaction score
Buzz is nearly everywhere on LTE

Intensity depends on where the phone is in relation to the speakers, but I hear a buzzing, warbling, modem-y sound whenever my Bionic is near ANY PC speakers, or near my in-dash car EQ. It started the day my 4G LTE light lit up last month (VZ is still testing 4G here). It's sporadic when idle (phone syncing, incoming/outgoing text messages), and constant when streaming... in other words, it's noticeable if the LTE radio is actually 'on' at that moment.

Is this evident on multiple LTE models, or just another feature of the (perpetually-Gingerbread) Bionic?:icon_ devil:

mattman5000

Reaction score
My Razr Maxx also does this in LTE mode. As Natey2 said, GSM phones have always done that (or at least GSM phones on AT&Ts network, such as the iphone). Not all audio systems are affected by the interference. It must be that some are better sheilded that others.

Sometimes it comes in handy, because know your phone is about to ring before is actually rings.:icon_eek:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is this evident on multiple LTE models, or just another feature of the (perpetually-Gingerbread) Bionic?:icon_ devil:

It's a GSM thing. Since LTE is essentially the next logical evolution of GSM, it goes with the territory.

Natey2

Reaction score
My Razr Maxx also does this in LTE mode. As Natey2 said, GSM phones have always done that (or at least GSM phones on AT&Ts network, such as the iphone). Not all audio systems are affected by the interference. It must be that some are better sheilded that others.

Sometimes it comes in handy, because know your phone is about to ring before is actually rings.:icon_eek:

I really wanted to get a Razr Maxx, but I can't have my phone causing interference in nearby speakers (conference call speaker phone, TV speakers in conference rooms, car stereo speakers, PC/laptop speakers, ... and the list goes on). Very embarrassing, not to mention annoying, in corporate environments.
How do these "noisy" phones get past FCC approval, with all the interference they are causing?
My DroidX is very well behaved.

mattman5000

Reaction score
In my experience, it only happens if the phone is within a few inches of the audio equipment. I got used to it back when I had an AT&T dumbphone. You just learn not to place on the table right next to a computer speaker or speaker phone, etc. On the other hand, I often place my phone in a pocket in the dash of my truck, it is directly below the stereo. I've never heard any interference in the car audio system.

Natey2

Reaction score
My GSM phone was sitting on the front passenger seat; interference in car's speakers.
GSM phone was in my briefcase ; interference in conference call speaker phone.
Only the computer speakers were within inches (12?) of my GSM phone to explain the proximity theory.
I suspect different phones use different power levels, causing more widespread interference.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk