Composing new Text message...

Reaction score
I hate that when i click on create new text message no names pop up so i can easily click on the person i want to text. instead i have to go all the way to the home screen click on contacts look for the person and then send the text. or am i doing something wrong?? is there a better way of creating a new text without having to memorize numbers or go all the way back home and looking for the contact ?? :motdroidhoriz:

Anonymouse

Reaction score
You can type in the name of the contact, I think. Or like everyone else says, download Handcent SMS, it makes your life so much easier.

crspang

Reaction score
Just start typing a name in the "to" line and you'll get some to choose from, its easy.

Jmaye2048

Reaction score
I have been having a similar problem. I am typing in the name, however there are some contacts that have been saved that still wont show up when im trying to compose a text. Does anyone know if there is something I need to change with the way they are set up as a contact? I tried switching to another sms app but again people were missing.

Silver Member
Reaction score
for text messages, the people you are sending the message to MUST have a mobile phone entry. either use the contacts and search the name (by typing it, just start typing it), go to call log and select the message icon, or open a new message and start typing the name.

if you have other conversations with that person, any new message will be merged into the old one.

Jmaye2048

Reaction score
so the problem i am having is because they are set up as home instead of mobile?

Silver Member
Reaction score
actually i just tested it. i'm getting texts from a friend that has his mobile number setup under home. although the messages i get show up as him and although i can select the message icon from contacts, i can't search his name in the to: box.

the number HAS to be a mobile number.

Jmaye2048

Reaction score
awesome, seems like an easy problem for me to fix, i appreciate the help. Thanks alot

ohioDroid

Reaction score
I'm using Handcent to 'fix' this issue, where if I want to send someone a txt, I compose, click to add a person, and I get the list of my contacts to select.

The normal Messaging app just wants you to enter the names...

Is that the correct assessment? Or can you select contacts from the list in the Messaging app and I just don't know it?