Companionlink defect and poor support

AA6YQ

Reaction score
Like many new Droid owners, I am seeking a way to sync contacts and calendar from Outlook; since I don't use Exchange, I downloaded the trial version of Companionlink. I immediately discovered a (for me) showstopper defect: events added to my Outlook calendar by associates located in other timezones are shown at incorrect times in both my Google Calendar and in the Droid's Calendar. I immediately reported this to Companionlink. The support person who responded threw a lot of chaff in the air, e.g. "you have too many events in your calendar". It took more than a week to convince him that this behavior is incorrect ("sync means the calendars should be identical, right?"). With my 14-day evaluation down to 3 days, I asked that Companionlink either state a time frame for correcting this defect, or acknowledge that it would remain uncorrected; the evaluation expired with no response to this request.

Think twice before relying on this company or its products.

R1Lover

Reaction score
If you search the forums the best way is to export from outlook, import to google (gmail) and your done... :)

OP
A

AA6YQ

Reaction score
I'm seeking continuous synchronization, not a one-time procedure.

pilot25

Reaction score
I had the same problem. I decided not to purchase their program. Unfortunately these "boutique " outfits are just one or two person organizations who have real jobs and are just supplementing their income. Buyer beware!!!
Stick with the corporate programs and save yourself a headache.

pilot25

Reaction score
I had the same problem. I decided not to purchase their program. Unfortunately these "boutique " outfits are just one or two person organizations who have real jobs and are just supplementing their income. Buyer beware!!!
Stick with the corporate programs and save yourself a headache.

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
AAY56, I'm very sorry you got such poor tech support from our organization. I've pushed your comments to my QA team for examination. You can email me directly at mailto:[email protected] and I can extend your evaluation and get you the real answer by about 11am Pacific time today (Friday Nov 27). The time zone problem is likely fixable.

We are a boutique shop, but moved past the two people phase back in 1988. CompanionLink currently runs a call center with ten techs, and they handle an average of 200 calls and 300 emails per day. That means 20 calls and 30 emails for every person. This is a US based staff that is well paid and gets health benefits, so our tech department is a half-million per year operation by itself. Does it run the way I want to? Certainly not. Any time you get ten individuals working hard, some for many years, it becomes a work in progress. I'm sorry to see you find our growing pains.

CompanionLink techs support all smartphones, including BlackBerry, iPhone and Droid. For Droid, our current software goes through the Google Calendar and Contact API. The Google Calendar API, now 3 years old, is notorious for time zone and DST issues. We have a lot of code to work around things the API won't do. Google Calendar is a work in progress, so for something we fixed two years ago, we often see Google modify the server side without notice. Without people reporting things I'm not sure if we'd see all the changes. My employee did the wrong thing, and should have reported the issues upstream for my QA to look at and see what is not working right. It is a very high priority that all Google events show the same time as Outlook events using any version of Outlook, and any method for event creating including through Exchange and by meeting invites.

I too would love Google to be realtime sync. We have realtime sync for a number of our devices, and we implement whenever possible. Last I looked at the Google Data API we still lacked the needed functions.

We have a wireless sync technology that could bypass Google and sync from your PC to your Phone in realtime. We do it with BlackBerry, iPhone and Windows Mobile. We don't do it with Droid because the Droid Calendar API is unpublished, and so is currently no official way to make an app that writes to the Droid Calendar.

Anyone is free to call our tech support 503-243-5200 hours 7am-4pm Pacific Time. Or if you don't get the service you expect, just email me mailto:[email protected]. We certainly want to work for everyone's business, and make sure they get the synchronization they need from PC to their new phone.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
CompanionLink Software, Inc.
www.companionlink.com

Last edited:
OP
A

AA6YQ

Reaction score
For Droid, our current software goes through the Google Calendar and Contact API. The Google Calendar API, now 3 years old, is notorious for time zone and DST issues. We have a lot of code to work around things the API won't do. Google Calendar is a work in progress, so for something we fixed two years ago, we often see Google modify the server side without notice. Without people reporting things I'm not sure if we'd see all the changes. My employee did the wrong thing, and should have reported the issues upstream for my QA to look at and see what is not working right. It is a very high priority that all Google events show the same time as Outlook events using any version of Outlook, and any method for event creating including through Exchange and by meeting invites.

gSyncit correctly handles events created by associates in other timezones.

jcrocks

Reaction score
I second the praise Tekmazter gave to Wayland Bruns. I had a sales/support problem. He replied and took personal responsibility immediately and ordered a refund for the purchase I just made. Maybe he can still salvage my situation if he responds as quickly as he did a few minutes ago.

CaGaPeach

Reaction score
nothing syncs direct w/ Outlook

I didn't want my contact info on Google and needed something that would sync directly with Outlook. I was really dumb and bought Companionlink quite a while back, trusting they would get it together eventually and provide software that would do what MS ActiveSync did.

Wasted $40. Companionlink does not work with Droid in that it puts contacts within it's own software on the phone, not where the other features of Droid can work with them.

Support was responsive but confirmed what I stated above. Don't be foolish and purchase this. It's not designed for working with the Droid features. Individuals and small business owenrs without Exchange have no easy answer. Motorola needs to get this done!

Oh, Missingsync is a joke. I won't even go there . . .

clcto

Supporting Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.companionlink.com
Gaga I'm so sorry you had a bad experience.

CompanionLink will be happy to refund your $40. Just email me privately [email protected] with your info and I can credit the card back if less than 90 days, or write a check if more than 90 days. At CompanionLink, we truly don't want anyone to feel they wasted money on our product.

There was only a brief period where sync to native Contacts were not supported. It was my fault. There was a significant issue as we work to put the right UI in place. We got a lot of low star ratings in the marketplace from people who could not sync their full contact list. So I cut off the contacts to suit those people. We didn't have a control screen in place to choose, and I knew we could get one in within a week. All my fault here. I didn't realize people assume a company is not working on a product, or responding to notes.

We restored the Through sync after 6 days. Apparently that left a searing impression in many people's minds that it was missing. If you have fewer than 2000 contacts, just "Update" your software and the current "through" sync will work fine for you.

So you have a choice, get your $40 back, or just go "Update" your software to get the contacts sync that you need.

"Through" Calendar sync is coming soon, but like Contacts will be limited to what the native apps can handle which doesn't include all Outlook recurring types.

Wayland Bruns, CTO

Last edited:

CaGaPeach

Reaction score
Gaga I'm so sorry you had a bad experience.

CompanionLink will be happy to refund your $40. Just email me privately [email protected] with your info and I can credit the card back if less than 90 days, or write a check if more than 90 days. At CompanionLink, we truly don't want anyone to feel they wasted money on our product.

There was only a brief period where sync to native Contacts were not supported. It was my fault. There was a significant issue as we work to put the right UI in place. We got a lot of low star ratings in the marketplace from people who could not sync their full contact list. So I cut off the contacts to suit those people. We didn't have a control screen in place to choose, and I knew we could get one in within a week. All my fault here. I didn't realize people assume a company is not working on a product, or responding to notes.

We restored the Through sync after 6 days. Apparently that left a searing impression in many people's minds that it was missing. If you have fewer than 2000 contacts, just "Update" your software and the current "through" sync will work fine for you.

So you have a choice, get your $40 back, or just go "Update" your software to get the contacts sync that you need.

"Through" Calendar sync is coming soon, but like Contacts will be limited to what the native apps can handle which doesn't include all Outlook recurring types.

Wayland Bruns, CTO

Well, I am impressed. This is excellent Customer Service. Thank you for giving me 2 options. I'm not looking for my $40 back if CL will work with my Droid the way I want it to and the way I thought it was marketed.

I have just reinstalled CL and sync'd my contacts and I'm further impressed. I want to work with it for a week or so but at first glance it looks like you guys have been listening.

This kind of customer service is the way to make customers for life. I'll report back later. BTW, I'm just a grandmother, not a teckie, but I don't want my contacts out on Google.

Thank you, again. :icon_ banana:

nateccnn

Reaction score
People also have to understand that Droid (android phones for that matter) don't work like Windows phones or Blackberry. I tried Companionlink and it did not do what I wanted but I can't blame the app. The native apps simply don't have the capacity to do what Outlook does on your desktop.

Corporate email is a nice feature added that allows the majority of companies to at least look at the Droid as a business tool...but you have to use exchange enterprise features and a lot of small businesses simply don't know how. Android was not designed to sync to your desktop...it is designed to sync to a server. Some poeople don't trust Google with thier contacts and emails so they have to use some form of Exchange mail (BTW...Microsoft Exchange is not the only server software that works). Someone will offer an app (maybe they do already) that uses a propritary server to do the sync seamlessly between outlook and a new contact and email app stored on the phone. It's a developer's world. But those who fear that their contacts will be compromised will still be at risk. For those...I suggest using a blackberry or winmo phone. Droid is not your cup of tea.

Microsoft tried to move into the world of cloud computing several years ago. It didn't reallyt take off. But it makes all sort of sense when you think about all the problems it solves. But people will be paranoid. And I am sure black helicopters are around somewhere.

Nate

tabraha

Reaction score
I agree with the post above wholeheartedly. After years of being on a BB I assumed a phone as potent as the droid would handle an essential function such as syncing like this by itself. So after buying the phone and coming on this board I ended up having to go the Companionlink route as well. I have to say that software is the only thing that kept me from returning the droid.

As much fun as the phone is for me it has to be able to get work done first and not syncing Outlook contacts/calendar items is pretty far out there for a "smart" phone out of the box in my opinion. I was pretty ticked having to shell out $40 just to be able to handle basic PIM funtions on a $$$ phone (that is a Moto gripe not a Companionlink gripe though). Now with companionlink I actually enjoy using the google calendar on my laptop and having it sync wirelessly with my droid and outlook on my desktop at work. SO IMO, after spending the $40 with CL, Droid does... :motdroidvert: