CNET Prizefight: Droid vs iPhone 3GS

keiichi25

Reaction score
Well, as I told some people, I don't view the Droid as an iPhone Killer. I find it is a good competitor to have something similar for another network. Some of it I agree and I hate the iPhone because of the lack of customization and the non-replaceable battery.

I do know some users I let check out my phone noted it was 'heavier' which it is compared to the iPhone. So there will be people who will not like it for weight reasons. Beany, I think, didn't like it because it was too angular, and opted for a different phone.

Over all, the only ones who can like anything is basically the person getting it. The only review you can trust out of it is the simplicity of getting through some of that stuff, and I know for some of my users, it will be a tough sell on certain parts as it isn't nearly as straightforward on some things, but otherwise, if it works, they might like it.

onejake

Reaction score
I would say they are both great phones. I prefer the Droid. Other, non-techie people may like the simplicity of the iPhone. The main thing is that the iPhone now has a competitor to ensure that they keep upgrading/updating to keep the iPhone a top-tier phone. And vice-versa for the Droid.

This

I wanted to switch to the iPhone, but there was no way I could justify leaving VZW. This made the decision easy. Sticking with Verizon.

Both have their pros and cons. The bottom line is simple... both of these are well-built smart phones. The Droid seems a bit more utilitarian while the iPhone needs to be seen. Both accomplish what the end user wants. (except for the spotty coverage which is not any fault of Apple)

benhebert

Reaction score
My opinion on the droid versus the Iphone when compared to MMORPG's

The Iphone is World of Warcraft; beautifully designed, simple, pretty, and made so that almost anyone can use it without much of a learning curve.

The Droid is like (insert game title here); a bit more technical that takes adaptation but when you learn to take advantage of it there are things you can do that would not be found on the iphone ie open source

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
You know what else kills me about this? Even though the iPhone took 3 out of 5, the Droid didn't drop below a 4.3 once. That should count for something as it did everything very well. And yes, I know some of these things are subjective. Then again, the iPhone 3GS has had 3 chances to get it right. Droid tied it on the first go round.

Color of the shorts is so dead on as a metaphor.

rosedith

Reaction score
From a woman's POV, the looks did take a bit of getting used to. I always wanted an iPhone but would never leave Verizon. After 2+ days of actually using the MotoDroid, I don't think that I will care at all if or when VZ gets the iPhone. People will have to use it a while to really understand how much better it is and to find that they can do everything they were used to on other phones. Of course, I only have several versions of the iPod and iPod Touch to compare it to but the iAnyhing is looking less and less of a marvel to me. I would still rather it were curvy and pretty but function trumps.

keiichi25

Reaction score
You know what else kills me about this? Even though the iPhone took 3 out of 5, the Droid didn't drop below a 4.3 once. That should count for something as it did everything very well. And yes, I know some of these things are subjective. Then again, the iPhone 3GS has had 3 chances to get it right. Droid tied it on the first go round.

Color of the shorts is so dead on as a metaphor.
Well, to be fair, the iPhone is also the 'benchmark' used against the Palm Pre and for other smart phones as it is currently the largest marketshare, despite the fact that it is on AT&T and the fact that T-Mobile's Google G1 and the HTC Android phones were relatively unknonwn for most of the world. Only Motorola and Verizon's DroidDoes commercial made a substantial impact to impress upon people the benefits of the Android OS phone.

Hell, I didn't realize the Google G1 phone commercial, the one that shows Whoopi and Jessie James was an Android phone until coming here and seeing some of the posts along with looking at some of the Android Apps.

brubakes

Reaction score
I've looked at both the 3GS and Droid and I really have to say, the overall feel and look of the Droid is just more appealing to me then the iPhone. Maybe its just personal taste, but for the Sexiness category, I think the Droid wins or at least ties. Same for navigation in my book.

OP
SoCal65

SoCal65

Reaction score
Reading through the comments on the CNET website regarding the Prizefight, and the clear loser(s) are the judges and their scoring methodology. :soapbox:

:motdroidvert: > :iphone:

cgaliffi

Reaction score
CNET has done one of their Prizefights between the Apple iPhone 3GS and the Motorola Droid. To read the full results, and watch the video go here:CNET Prizefight: Motorola Droid vs. Apple iPhone 3GS - CNET.com

Here is a summary:

Round 1: Sexiness
  • Droid: 4.3

[*]iPhone: 5

Round 2: Navigation (User Interface)
  • Droid: 4.7

[*]
    iPhone: 5
Round 3: Features
  • Droid: 5

[*]
    iPhone: 4.7
Round 4: Web & Multimedia
  • Droid: 4

[*]
    iPhone: 5
Round 5: Call Quality
  • Droid: 5
  • iPhone: 3.3
Result: Tie with average of 4.6 points each

Tiebreaker: Rounds won
iPhone 3GS: 3
Motorola Droid: 2

Wow, and here we thought the iPhone vs. Palm Pre prizefight was close. After five intense rounds, both the Motorola Droid and iPhone 3GS wound up with the same number of points. Normally, our tiebreaker would be to score to the next hundredth of a point but since both phones score 4.6 even, the next tiebreaker is to choose the phone that won the most rounds. In this case, the iPhone won 3 and the Droid won 2, so the iPhone wins again.

However, this shouldn't be taken as a loss for the Droid or Verizon--quite the opposite. To come in and almost beat out the iPhone says something. As a number of readers have commented, this isn't about being an iPhone killer; it's about giving customers a choice, and it looks like the Droid is giving Verizon subscribers a fine one.

I definitely agree with the last part of the quote here. It's not about being an iphone killer, but about us as Verizon customers having a viable choice and I'm happy and content with that! :clap:

Droidforums

Reaction score
You know, if I wanted an "iphone killer" phone, I would just buy an IPHONE!
I am so glad that whoever design the motodroid (love this name) did NOT bother looking at the iphone to go by.

The way its design and the different OS from the iphone is GREAT!
People just need to STOP bringing in the "iphone" in their review and comments and just let the phone alone. The more devices we get that are like the motodroid the more the iphone will be used by woman and children only.

Kevin8se7en

Reaction score
If The iPhone had a penis app... Cnet would suck it... seriously

sexiness? seriously..?

Take a look at this:
Round 5: Call Quality
Droid: 5
iPhone: 3.3

That means 2 judges gave the iPhone a 3.0 and the other a 4.0
HOW THE HELL CAN YOU GIVE THE iPHONE A 4.0/5.0 FOR CALL QUALITY?!?!?! It didn't even receive the call and it was right beside it!!!

Basically, one of the extremely biased judges noticed that if he gave the iPhone a 2 or 3 for call quality, it would have lost... so they gave it a 4.0 lol.
I think giving a phone 4.0/5.0 for call quality when it cant even receive a call from a phone RIGHT BESIDE IT is bias... maybe it's just me but it's ridiculous.

Reaction score
As in my op it won on a subjective category.....

It's like judging the winner of the Heavyweight Championship by the colors of the guys boxing trunks : )
Exactly!!!!! They should totally keep subjective issues out of the comparison. WVGA!!!!!!!!! How is that not sexier than HVGA?