CNET Prizefight: Droid vs iPhone 3GS

SoCal65

Reaction score
CNET has done one of their Prizefights between the Apple iPhone 3GS and the Motorola Droid. To read the full results, and watch the video go here:CNET Prizefight: Motorola Droid vs. Apple iPhone 3GS - CNET.com

Here is a summary:

Round 1: Sexiness
  • Droid: 4.3

[*]iPhone: 5

Round 2: Navigation (User Interface)
  • Droid: 4.7

[*]
    iPhone: 5
Round 3: Features
  • Droid: 5

[*]
    iPhone: 4.7
Round 4: Web & Multimedia
  • Droid: 4

[*]
    iPhone: 5
Round 5: Call Quality
  • Droid: 5
  • iPhone: 3.3
Result: Tie with average of 4.6 points each

Tiebreaker: Rounds won
iPhone 3GS: 3
Motorola Droid: 2

Wow, and here we thought the iPhone vs. Palm Pre prizefight was close. After five intense rounds, both the Motorola Droid and iPhone 3GS wound up with the same number of points. Normally, our tiebreaker would be to score to the next hundredth of a point but since both phones score 4.6 even, the next tiebreaker is to choose the phone that won the most rounds. In this case, the iPhone won 3 and the Droid won 2, so the iPhone wins again.

However, this shouldn't be taken as a loss for the Droid or Verizon--quite the opposite. To come in and almost beat out the iPhone says something. As a number of readers have commented, this isn't about being an iPhone killer; it's about giving customers a choice, and it looks like the Droid is giving Verizon subscribers a fine one.

Last edited:

corey.trautman

Reaction score
I am lost.. How is navigation on the iphone better? I have used both phones and it isn't even close. Just like everything else there are pros and cons to both phones and both phones are really great but in my opinion Droid takes navigation hands down.

Never mind.. I misread it. They are talking about User Interface navigation. I would agree plain Android does not offer the best UI.

ironosity

Reaction score
It doesn't refer to GPS navigation but rather navigating about the phone's screens, apps, etc. And on this the iPhone wins for simplicity. but then, the addition of features almost always adds complexity to UI navigation. Compromise...

corey.trautman

Reaction score
Yeah, I just realized I misread that statement. They are correct in the iphone being simplistic but sometimes that simplicity makes things inefficient. I would rather a bit of a learning curve then to be limited to what my phone can do.

ironosity

Reaction score
I agree full heartedly. That's why I own a droid and not an iPhone. :)

Dream

Reaction score
The only phone that will take out the iPhone is the next iPhone. Period.

haitskane

Reaction score
I would also take more options than simplicity. Droid wins IMO.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The only phone that will take out the iPhone is the next iPhone. Period.

exactly... people dont buy an iphone because of what it can do they buy it like they buy a pair of shoes or a hat. They look at what everyone else has and buys that..

the iphone is a fashion accessory until the fad dies nothing will beat the iphone.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Good fight but what gave the iPhone the win was the "looks". Thats subjective. Personally I love the looks of the Droid over the iPhone. Yes the iPhone is sleek and sexy and THAT is what I DO NOT like about it.

I don't want my tech devices sexy. My women yes, but not my phone. The Droid has the looks and ruggedness that I prefer.

iPhone comes to VZW tomorrow I would still keep the Droid. Not a knock on the iPhone because it is a phenomenal device but the Droid just does it for me.

Birdnals

Reaction score
Pulled from the Prizefight. This is Brian Tong explaining his rating of a 3 for call quality on the iPhone:
Call quality still an issue, with more echo and "What was that?" Dropped calls are still happening and 3G was more inconsistent. I made a call from the Droid to my iPhone right next to each other and the iPhone didn't even ring.

My question is how does a phone receive a 3 for call quality when it doesn't even receive the call?? Furthermore, how does a phone that is incompetent of it's primary function (making and receiving calls) win?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Pulled from the Prizefight. This is Brian Tong explaining his rating of a 3 for call quality on the iPhone:
Call quality still an issue, with more echo and "What was that?" Dropped calls are still happening and 3G was more inconsistent. I made a call from the Droid to my iPhone right next to each other and the iPhone didn't even ring.
My question is how does a phone receive a 3 for call quality when it doesn't even receive the call?? Furthermore, how does a phone that is incompetent of it's primary function (making and receiving calls) win?
because they liked the styling of it better thats why.

As in my op it won on a subjective category.....

It's like judging the winner of the Heavyweight Championship by the colors of the guys boxing trunks : )

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They are as close as any. I prefer the Droid mabe the next guy prefers the IPhone. I may not agree with how the winner was picked, but oh well

kevin1016

Reaction score
Good fight but what gave the iPhone the win was the "looks". Thats subjective. Personally I love the looks of the Droid over the iPhone. Yes the iPhone is sleek and sexy and THAT is what I DO NOT like about it.

I don't want my tech devices sexy. My women yes, but not my phone. The Droid has the looks and ruggedness that I prefer.

iPhone comes to VZW tomorrow I would still keep the Droid. Not a knock on the iPhone because it is a phenomenal device but the Droid just does it for me.
My sentiments exactly.

BigTex71

Reaction score
I would say they are both great phones. I prefer the Droid. Other, non-techie people may like the simplicity of the iPhone. The main thing is that the iPhone now has a competitor to ensure that they keep upgrading/updating to keep the iPhone a top-tier phone. And vice-versa for the Droid.