CM7 Boot Loop

bmudrak

Reaction score
I just tried installing CM7 GB on my droid 2 running stock verizon froyo. My phone was rooted with z4root and had clockwork installed. I created a backup. I then downloaded CM7 GB through ROM Manager, proceeded through the install, but when the phone rebooted I'm stuck with a replay loop of the CM7 animation.

Booting into recover (pwr + up arrow) lands me in the stock recovery screen, not clockwork mod, so I don't see the option to restore a backup.

Please help.

droidx2.3.3

Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but for cm7gb you need to be on rooted .602. That's what I needed to do for my dx.

mopar57

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
droidx2.3.3 your right except for the version number. You need to be on either 4.5.606 ( two part file to root) 4.5.607 (use Droid3 v7 root method)

After you have upgraded to GB you can then perform the steps to install it.

if you have adb install you can do:
adb shell "echo 1 > /data/.recovery_mode; sync;"
adb reboot
to get into CWM
( thanks to rev numbers)

OP
B

bmudrak

Reaction score
So I dont know what version i was on and obviosly cant tell now. Any thoughts on what to do now to either continue or launch clockwork for a restore to my backup?

Mistah

Reaction score
had this happen to me also, had to sbf back to original and start over

OP
B

bmudrak

Reaction score
I did a wipe of user data and was able to successfully launch CM7.

The one remaining question I had was why I'm unable to boot directly into CWM with the key combination (x + PWR)? This boots into the stock recovery mode, without the option for restoring. The only way I can get into CWM is through Bootstrap Recovery, however this isn't (and wasn't) an option when my phone was stuck in the boot loop.

usher6360

Reaction score
I did a wipe of user data and was able to successfully launch CM7.

The one remaining question I had was why I'm unable to boot directly into CWM with the key combination (x + PWR)? This boots into the stock recovery mode, without the option for restoring. The only way I can get into CWM is through Bootstrap Recovery, however this isn't (and wasn't) an option when my phone was stuck in the boot loop.

Remember, every time you flash a Rom, you must do a factory reset, wipe cache, and wipe dalvic cache.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

Steltron

Reaction score
So I dont know what version i was on and obviosly cant tell now. Any thoughts on what to do now to either continue or launch clockwork for a restore to my backup?

Hey, the exact same thing is happening to me. How do you get into clockwork? how do i restore my old ROM?

Jonas

Reaction score
The fact that you booted into CWR is actually a fluke, it should have booted you into stock recovery. I have found that if you boot loop it, and don't fool with anything else, then you can do a factory reset, and wipe cache, and it lets you work from there. If that doesn't work, SBF is a good bet!

mopar57

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
install androidsdk

adb shell "echo 1 > /data/.recovery_mode; sync;"
adb reboot

boots back into cwm

to use new cm7, make sure you have GB kernel---( moto logo is in red when booting)