CM 6.0.0 GPS Locking Problem

nyijedi

Reaction score
On both RC3 and 6.0.0, my GPS takes a long time to lock onto a signal. This problem did not exist in RC2. I have wiped data/cache and done a fresh install of 6.0.0, and the problem still exists. There are two threads in the CM forums relating to this problem, but so far, there has not been a solution. I was wondering if anyone here on droidforums may know of a fix for this (or at least has some suggestions). Thanks guys.

microsnook

Reaction score
On both RC3 and 6.0.0, my GPS takes a long time to lock onto a signal. This problem did not exist in RC2. I have wiped data/cache and done a fresh install of 6.0.0, and the problem still exists. There are two threads in the CM forums relating to this problem, but so far, there has not been a solution. I was wondering if anyone here on droidforums may know of a fix for this (or at least has some suggestions). Thanks guys.

+1 for this.
I was driving and it took forever for my gps to acquire a signal. I had to research the place I was trying to get to.

This is definitely a problem!

OP
N

nyijedi

Reaction score
I'm actually surprised this issue hasn't received more attention, although I'm guessing that a lot of people just haven't noticed it yet. As for trying another rom, I think I'll go back to CM RC2 for now, as nothing really comes close to CM in terms of customization - at least in my opinion.

ataris_kid

Reaction score
+1 for this issue. I was asking in #koush on IRC but no one said they were having the issue. Glad to see it's not just my phone.

OP
N

nyijedi

Reaction score
+1 for this issue. I was asking in #koush on IRC but no one said they were having the issue. Glad to see it's not just my phone.

As far as people saying they're not having this issue, I will say this: once the GPS FINALLY locks on, it will lock pretty quickly after that - even if you disable/enable GPS and reboot the phone. However, if you don't access GPS for a few hours and change your location, and then you try to lock on again, it takes forever. This is so frustrating. I don't want to be forced to go back to a release candidate, but I think that's where this headed, since there's no fix in sight.

Reaction score
I've actually had this problem randomly in the past (using 5.0.8 and Bugless Beast). Most days the GPS would work fine, but periodically it would absolutely refuse to lock. I have no idea why, but the issue resolves itself in a few hours time. I'm wondering if it may just be the GPS satellites freaking out?

Regardless, one thing that people have claimed works for resolving this problem is switching kernels.

That being said, I have not had any problems locking GPS since installing 6.0.0. I was using the included kernel for about a day before switching to Slayher's 1000MHz kernel (which comes highly recommended), and both of them have provided nearly instantaneous GPS locks.

ataris_kid

Reaction score
The latest CM6 nightly resolves the GPS lock delay. Just flashed it and it seems responsive. Hope it lasts.

CyanogenMod Change Log said:
Common: APN cleanup (fixes many issues with GPS and MMS) - Cyanogen

Glueeater

Reaction score
The latest CM6 nightly resolves the GPS lock delay. Just flashed it and it seems responsive. Hope it lasts.

Where do we get nightly builds? I haven't figure this out forever.

Se7enLC

Reaction score

Where do we get nightly builds? I haven't figure this out forever.

Go to the IRC channel, they can hook you up with a nightly. I could give you the link to the builds, but you should be IN the channel and ask so that if the current build is no-good they can warn you of that.

justinthegeek

Reaction score
Download GPS status from the market. You can re-download the GPS data. It will lock in seconds after you do that.

brochaos

Reaction score
i've been running CM6 since it went final, and did not have this problem until yesterday? i can't figure out why it started all of a sudden. the only weird thing i did was install that google maps BRUT mod, and then uninstall it. i also switched to cvpcs kernel a week ago, but i'm pretty sure it had worked fine after that.

superbalde

Reaction score
Download GPS status from the market. You can re-download the GPS data. It will lock in seconds after you do that.

Yep, this solved it for me as well as for other phones. You can reset the cache in the GPS settings and then also download new GPS data. Great app!