CM 5.0.8 Drains My Battery Like Crazy. Suggestions?

AlphaMack

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently moved from stock 2.1 to CM 5.0.8 and successfully followed all of the steps over at the CM Wiki for the D1.

Normally, I use Wi-Fi whenever possible. I also have The Weather Channel widget, Google Latitude, and K-9 Mail pushing my IMAP accounts. With some light web browsing, stock ESE81 would last me anywhere between 12-18h on a single charge (sleeping most of the time). However, doing the same on CM 5.0.8? I'm lucky if I'm getting about 4-6h.

I read a few posts where people experiencing battery drain have disabled Market notifications and changed some Spare Parts settings. I'm a little hesitant to jump to CM 6-RC2 as I would rather wait for a stable release, so I'm wondering what some of you have done to extend battery life. Thanks.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
It's stable, so just try it. Remember to make a nandroid backup, titanium backup if you wish, and to do a system data/cache wipe 2-3x each before flashing it in. WiFi tethering eats battery life like a bulimic, and with much the same results.

The first boot will take some time, the market will want to re-download your apps if you have sync enabled, and you'll find some features and options have changed.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Glad it worked out for you. Every once in a while you may need to run the battery on the phone down so it powers off and then charge for an hour or two uninterrupted to recharge the battery. It's not cycling the battery like you had to with the old NiMH and NiCd batteries; it's allowing the phone to reset itself so it recognized the battery charge properly.

Then again, you may not. :) Every Droid is different.