Closing apps? Force stop apps?

llgeg

Reaction score
How do you actually close an app? I back out of everything I go into, and yet, I see so many things running that I opened a few days ago but haven't been back into since.

When you force stop an app, does it do any harm? (stupid question, but ?)

Under running services, what things need to remain running? There are so many things that I don't know what they are/what they mean, like
PVMtpservicestart, what the heck is that? Or HtcDmService. ?

Help, and thanks!

mkjellgren

Reaction score
How do you actually close an app? I back out of everything I go into, and yet, I see so many things running that I opened a few days ago but haven't been back into since.

Under running services, what things need to remain running? There are so many things that I don't know what they are/what they mean, like

Help, and thanks!

The simple answer is you don't. The android system has a built in task killer that will close running services of the lowest priority as needed to make free up more memory for apps and services as they are opened. When you hit the home or back button your apps are frozen, not actually continually running in the background. Think of it as a bookmark. If you force close an app, the next time you use that app it will have to be restarted which takes more time and battery power than if it had been left alone. Android does a tremendous job of managing memory on its own. NEVER use a task killer app from the market. They are memory/battery hogs and to more harm than good. Don't let anyone convince you differently. This is a well documented issue. There may be times, however, where it is necessary to force stop an app. If you run into problems and the only solution is to force stop, hit settings>applications>manage applications>running services>select the app>force stop.

In terms of the PVMtpservicestart thing, that has been associated with the blockbuster app. For some reason that app keeps trying to update in the background. To fix it simply open the app, it will prompt you to update. Allow the update, then once in the app hit the menu button and unchecked "check for movie updates" (or you could just root the thing and remove all of that VZW bloatware...). Not sure about HtcDmService, although if I were to venture a guess it may have something to do with messaging.

So basically to sum it up. Apart from taking care of rogue apps (i.e. blockbuster) its best to just let android do its thing.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
L

llgeg

Reaction score

Help, and thanks!

The simple answer is you don't. The android system has a built in task killer that will close running services of the lowest priority as needed to make free up more memory for apps and services as they are opened. When you hit the home or back button your apps are frozen, not actually continually running in the background. Think of it as a bookmark. If you force close an app, the next time you use that app it will have to be restarted which takes more time and battery power than if it had been left alone. Android does a tremendous job of managing memory on its own. NEVER use a task killer app from the market. They are memory/battery hogs and to more harm than good. Don't let anyone convince you differently. This is a well documented issue. There may be times, however, where it is necessary to force stop an app. If you run into problems and the only solution is to force stop, hit settings>applications>manage applications>running services>select the app>force stop.

In terms of the PVMtpservicestart thing, that has been associated with the blockbuster app. For some reason that app keeps trying to update in the background. To fix it simply open the app, it will prompt you to update. Allow the update, then once in the app hit the menu button and unchecked "check for movie updates" (or you could just root the thing and remove all of that VZW bloatware...). Not sure about HtcDmService, although if I were to venture a guess it may have something to do with messaging.

So basically to sum it up. Apart from taking care of rogue apps (i.e. blockbuster) its best to just let android do its thing.

Thank you so much, that makes it alot clearer!