Clockwork Recovery restore failed

jimmiem

Reaction score
I backed up my phone after rooting and getting my phone set up just the way I like it. Yesterday all of the sudden my phone froze and I had to pull the battery to reset it. It would reboot and work for a minute before freezing again, and in that minute I couldn't figure out what was going wrong to cause it to freeze so I finally decided to do a restore.

I booted into recovery and ran the restore but it failed on recovering the system about 10 seconds in. It said "error deleting system," I believe. I ran it several times, and I tried wiping my phone and restoring again and still no luck. I had to restore to stock and run Easy Root again. Luckily I had a TB of all my apps and the system data. What a pain!

Has anyone else had to restore their phone with Recovery? I'm scared to do it now because it left me with an unbootable phone.

snake9

Reaction score
Mine wouldn't restore either, said wrong md5. Any advice

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

cnmsales

Reaction score
Are you doing this from within rom manager?

Try manually booting into CWM and restoring that way.

OP
J

jimmiem

Reaction score
I was booted into CWM when I experienced issues. I can't test it again without risking another failure that leave me with an unbootable phone.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I'm running a ClockworkMod Recovery 3.0.2.4 backup right now so I can try some kernels. Maybe I shouldn't rely on that to get me out of trouble when things get bad? lol....

cnmsales

Reaction score
@BigM - I know after rooting mine I made a back up through Rom Manager and it didnt go through. Needed to go back and ended up not having a stock bakup.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I went with Adrynalyne's 1.9 Kernel for Sense. No problems here. Loving this kernel. Won't be testing more till CWM gets fixed. Thanks for the info guys.

sk8

Reaction score
I've been waiting before doing anything for this reason. I've downloaded airborne and a perfect storm but am hesitant with the device still being so new. I'll let the more knowledgeable beta test.

sent from a sweet paper weight.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I've been waiting before doing anything for this reason. I've downloaded airborne and a perfect storm but am hesitant with the device still being so new. I'll let the more knowledgeable beta test.

I've been running Perfect Storm since release, no issues. It's fast and debloated.

sk8

Reaction score
Have you tried to restore a backup?
I made a backup after rooting, cw seemed to back it up as usual but with the above mentioned problems about failure to restore has me a little more weary to flash something else.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
No I haven't. XDA has a thread on how to restore.

CWM Problems - xda-developers

You have to check certain options in CWM

in CWM click your menu button and clear download cache. then go into settings and check the box for erase recovery.

Then reflash the CWM and you are good to go.
This appears to be the root cause and fix.

sportadic22

Reaction score
soo let me get this straight?... cwm and thunderbolt ... its not letting us recover a back up we have made?
ive made 2 backups now.. both went thru smoothly.
have not tried going to a previous backup..no need.

people are having issues with going back to previous backups? ahhh crap thats not good?

sk8

Reaction score
It would be nice to test if it works before actually needing it to work.
I'm stock now so restoring stock could be useful.
The problem seems to be with clockwork failure to wipe the system.
Gonna give it a go.