Cigarette Charger for Droid 2 Global...

Cdeath

Reaction score
OK guys. So I have been reading a lot on car chargers for this device. Last night I had an idea to take a mini usb car charger (from my razr v3cm) and cut the end off and to wire a micro on the end (from my usb cable). The usb had 4 cables and the car charger had 2 (obvs). Black (for ground )and red(for power). I splinted the 2 together and the usb cable still works fine and the charger will charge my lg dare, ev2, voyager, razr, and versa, but not my droid. I used google and figured the problem out. A car charger usually produces around 800mah but the droid needs a high powered 1000mah or something like that. (Don't quote me on those actual numbers.) Anyways.. I thought this was cool. When i plug the phone in, the screen wont light up or make a sound. However, if u shut the phone off and then plug the car charger in, the phone will turn back on. it will disconnect, but once you unlock your phone, if you kept the power in, the phone will magically charge. Why does this happen? I thought the connection was loose, but its soldered pretty tight and then i used hot glue just incase and then put electrical tape on top. No matter how i wiggled it, it would still be charging. I unplugged the phone and put it back in and it started to charge again. I unplugged it, waited for 5 minutes and plugged it back in and it wouldnt charge. So i rebooted it, same deal. It works fine. Strange... Below is a picture of the design.. i was wondering if anyone could explain why this happens. The piece is the center is the mini i cut off the car charger, which is soldered to the usb cable.. red to red; black to black. remaining wires (data in and out) were not touched.
EDIT: If it matters, my phone is flashed to fission and the car charger is a MV3PC.. Phone is obs a d2g.

Last edited:

cavemanbangs

Reaction score
go to amazon and buy an oem morotrola charger there like $4 bucks .. you can't just plug power into the middle of a cord and expect the same amount of power to hit the side you want ... power flow, is like water going through a pipe and your sending it from 1 pipe to 2 and dropping the current levels far to low .. you can easily cause a spark and not only destroy your phone but the usb port on your computer if you use it to charge

you should never play with electrical power wires of any kind if you don't understand what you are doing especially in a car because FIRES DO HAPPEN

but after that little warning .. good effort

OP
C

Cdeath

Reaction score
go to amazon and buy an oem morotrola charger there like $4 bucks .. you can't just plug power into the middle of a cord and expect the same amount of power to hit the side you want ... power flow, is like water going through a pipe and your sending it from 1 pipe to 2 and dropping the current levels far to low .. you can easily cause a spark and not only destroy your phone but the usb port on your computer if you use it to charge

you should never play with electrical power wires of any kind if you don't understand what you are doing especially in a car because FIRES DO HAPPEN

but after that little warning .. good effort

Thanks, but i looked up the voltage to both micro and mini and they were the same. 5 volts about. The interwebz also caimed both were the same, just micro was supposed to last 10x more uses. That would explain why it works for dumb phones. But I was just wondering if anyone could try a micro usb car charger for an older phone and see if it powers it by the same method. I do not believe it was the wire, i think it was the phone that caused it. And I understand very little about power wires, but I know that those wires together should work. And the usb port is stock... with a tumor lol the car charger. So the usb port should be fine and the wire is grounded. So the only way to learn is to do right? haha

Ok, but why were you doing this?
Cuz I wanted to try it.. i have like 50 usb cables and no car chargers so i figured why not lol.

tebower

Reaction score
Way to be industrious. It does seem like a lot of work for something so inexpensive, but some people just like to tinker (me too), and it's okay.

OP
C

Cdeath

Reaction score
Way to be industrious. It does seem like a lot of work for something so inexpensive, but some people just like to tinker (me too), and it's okay.

haha true. it is like 3 bucks on amazon. I just thought it was cool how it charge once the phone was off and reconnected and then turned on. I thought that it may help someone who could not get it to charge.

crf450

Reaction score
I use lg dare and older house chargers on my d2g with no problems. I think the Motorola may charge a little faster. Haven't tried any car chargers though.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

wilboy

Reaction score
I'm using my BB Storm car charger w/ no problem!

OP
C

Cdeath

Reaction score
I use lg dare and older house chargers on my d2g with no problems. I think the Motorola may charge a little faster. Haven't tried any car chargers though.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Huh.. I have a dare. Just not a car charger for it. Thats strange for me. But thats cool to know. I think you are correct to. it seems to need a charger for more mah, otherwise it dies while in use; like navigator.