Checking in

milidroid

Reaction score
Doing the customary hello and intro.

Mainly interested in researching and writing about various military applications for the droid platform.

Looks like a great forum for technical info.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
welcome to the forum! glad u made it here. not sure what the market may have for the apps ur looking for. but...have fun

sent from the Hawaiian D2G

OP
milidroid

milidroid

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome everyone

not sure what the market may have for the apps ur looking for.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect most to realize it. There is a small market for commercial/free apps, and there is some dual use stuff out there, meaning what most would normally consider a civilian app can have a military use.

But most of it is Gov. driven and unless you had an interest and are specifically keeping an eye on the industry you'd never pick up on it. DoD is moving towards Android more and more for mobile applications. It's an area that app developers could potentially carve out a nice little niche for themselves.

Again thanks for the welcome. I'll more than likely be doing more reading than posting but will contribute where I can.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
Oh I agree, lots of new things/apps are going mobile. I have a Xoom and I just love this. In no way does it replace a laptop but it sure can do nearly as much. Are u in the military or civilian worker of some sort? I was just curious.

sent from my Hawaiian Xoom...ALOHA

OP
milidroid

milidroid

Reaction score
Are u in the military or civilian worker of some sort? I was just curious.

sent from my Hawaiian Xoom...ALOHA

I was in the Army for almost 11 years. Then spent time as a consultant and Civilian Contractor for DoD. I'm in the industry with my current business but completely unrelated to "electronics" if you will.

The Android blogging thing just recently became sort of a hobby when I picked up my first Android phone for personal use and realized what an awesome tool it would have been when I was a soldier. As I went down that rabbit hole I discovered it was indeed being used and is branching out more and more.

Plus it allows me to pull together my military experience, inner geek and "love" of the android OS. :)

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
very interesting. my ex brother in law was in the AF for many years, had to do some rescue missions which says he can't discuss it, he eventually landed his final mission at the Pentagon where the day of 911 his office was being renovated at the time and that's where the plane hit. he's since retired but works civilian at DoD doing gosh knows what.

sent from the Hawaiian D2G

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
DoD is moving towards Android more and more for mobile applications. It's an area that app developers could potentially carve out a nice little niche for themselves.

Would be nice, but knowing how restrictive they are about the average computer network stuff, I don't see the typical developer having much luck writing apps that the DoD would authorize on any gov. owned device. At least not in any time frame so as to make it worth their time and effort. Can't even get them to feel good about wireless. And approving a piece of commercial software takes 2 star approval or higher to rush it through in less than a year. 'Course, this is all based on my experience with the Army side of the house.

I'd *love* to see it go that way though and will keep my fingers crossed. Opens up new doors.